Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:34 am

About a month ago I accepted a 1L summer internship with a fed judge in a semi-prominent district (think NJ/MA/CT). However, today I was offered an awesome internship at an international organization based abroad (non-firm) that I would absolutely love to accept. However, after reading through the forums, I am aware that backing out of an internship with a federal judge is highly frowned upon. Normally, I would simply reject my latest offer, but the idea of working abroad seems extremely compelling.

So assuming that splitting the summer is not an option, can I just get some confirmation that reneging would be a bad idea, regardless of how much better my new offer is? Or is it a bad idea, but not THAT bad? I just don't want this hanging over my head all summer.

Thanks!

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Sup Kid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:36 am

BAD IDEA

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby lawloser22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:About a month ago I accepted a 1L summer internship with a fed judge in a semi-prominent district (think NJ/MA/CT). However, today I was offered an awesome internship at an international organization based abroad (non-firm) that I would absolutely love to accept. However, after reading through the forums, I am aware that backing out of an internship with a federal judge is highly frowned upon. Normally, I would simply reject my latest offer, but the idea of working abroad seems extremely compelling.

So assuming that splitting the summer is not an option, can I just get some confirmation that reneging would be a bad idea, regardless of how much better my new offer is? Or is it a bad idea, but not THAT bad? I just don't want this hanging over my head all summer.

Thanks!


Talk to your CSO before doing this. They may say it's ok. If they say you can't, ask them about the possible repercussions. Some people argue that the rule saying you can't reneg or reject an offer from a fed judge really only applies to actual clerkships. It may depend on the district/judge.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:09 pm

More important question (for my purposes, anyway) - what's the international organization you got a spot with as a 1L?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More important question (for my purposes, anyway) - what's the international organization you got a spot with as a 1L?


ILO

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Renzo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 am

Worst idea ever.

User avatar
nshapkar
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby nshapkar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:07 am

Smoke a blunt with the judge and tell it to him straight, he'll understand.

nylaw23
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby nylaw23 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 am

I think its a bad idea and unprofessional to say "tough, I'm leaving the country, good luck finding someone to replace me!" On the other hand, if you call up/have a meeting with the judge and explain the situation, he might tell you that you should take the other opportunity and that you doing so is no problem because he has X number of applicants lining up outside the door waiting to take your spot.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby wiseowl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Talk to your CSO first. Some schools flatly do not allow this and may penalize you at OCI for doing so.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:38 pm

If this was a state judge in a market you didnt intend to be in I may say you're fine, but no, you dont rescind an acceptance from a federal judge.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm

I interviewed with a federal judge and he told me all about how close and tight knit the community of federal judges is in the state. Your reputation is everything and word spreads very fast when you piss one off. You most certainly should take what you already have and not stir the pot.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Sup Kid wrote:BAD IDEA
Renzo wrote:Worst idea ever.
Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with a federal judge and he told me all about how close and tight knit the community of federal judges is in the state. Your reputation is everything and word spreads very fast when you piss one off. You most certainly should take what you already have and not stir the pot.
Follow this advice.

However, my favorite advice:
nshapkar wrote:Smoke a blunt with the judge and tell it to him straight, he'll understand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:41 pm

lawloser22 wrote:Some people argue that the rule saying you can't reneg or reject an offer from a fed judge really only applies to actual clerkships. It may depend on the district/judge.


I've never been sure who invented this "rule," apart from federal judges (who don't like to be rejected) and CSOs of schools who are insecure about their clerkship placements. I turned down a federal judge's clerkship offer years ago, because I didn't like the exploding nature of the offer and had other clerkship prospects that I found more attractive. Many years into practice, it's never been an issue.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Some people argue that the rule saying you can't reneg or reject an offer from a fed judge really only applies to actual clerkships. It may depend on the district/judge.


I've never been sure who invented this "rule," apart from federal judges (who don't like to be rejected) and CSOs of schools who are insecure about their clerkship placements. I turned down a federal judge's clerkship offer years ago, because I didn't like the exploding nature of the offer and had other clerkship prospects that I found more attractive. Many years into practice, it's never been an issue.

I think flatly turning down an offer and reneging after an acceptance are two different things.

Maybe that's just me.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Some people argue that the rule saying you can't reneg or reject an offer from a fed judge really only applies to actual clerkships. It may depend on the district/judge.


I've never been sure who invented this "rule," apart from federal judges (who don't like to be rejected) and CSOs of schools who are insecure about their clerkship placements. I turned down a federal judge's clerkship offer years ago, because I didn't like the exploding nature of the offer and had other clerkship prospects that I found more attractive. Many years into practice, it's never been an issue.


There is a big difference between turning down an offer, and trying to back your way out of an offer you accepted a month ago (which is OP's situation). I personally don't see a huge problem with turning down an offer, or politely requesting some time to consider all options. But backing out of something you accepted a month ago? Thats not right.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 pm

dakatz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Some people argue that the rule saying you can't reneg or reject an offer from a fed judge really only applies to actual clerkships. It may depend on the district/judge.


I've never been sure who invented this "rule," apart from federal judges (who don't like to be rejected) and CSOs of schools who are insecure about their clerkship placements. I turned down a federal judge's clerkship offer years ago, because I didn't like the exploding nature of the offer and had other clerkship prospects that I found more attractive. Many years into practice, it's never been an issue.


There is a big difference between turning down an offer, and trying to back your way out of an offer you accepted a month ago (which is OP's situation). I personally don't see a huge problem with turning down an offer, or politely requesting some time to consider all options. But backing out of something you accepted a month ago? Thats not right.


Oh, to be clear, I fully agree with you guys re: reneging on an externship/internship offer once accepted being wrong. Reneging on a clerkship offer would be one level more egregious, even, in my view. I was just responding to a commenter who said that there was a rule against *rejecting* a clerkship offer in the first instance, which I strongly disagree with. I heard from my (HYSCCN) CSO that this was "discouraged," but not totally disallowed. I disagree that it should be discouraged or disallowed - like any other job offer, the applicant should be free to accept or reject it at will. I'm aware that's not the OP's situation, and hope that s/he will honor the initial commitment.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:07 pm

I think that it is a good idea---------------so long as you plan to practice abroad as well.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:11 pm

If your grades aren't good enough for big law or a federal clerkship, and the OCS says its okay, then okay.

If you have a good grades, or the OCS says no, then don't.

User avatar
chicago520
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby chicago520 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

um this is easy. make up a lie, like a family member is sick, you need to take care of them, etc.... then work where you want. If asked, say family member got better in the interim.

No one cares about some stupid 1L intern over the summer. Judges don't care.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:15 pm

chicago520 wrote:um this is easy. make up a lie, like a family member is sick, you need to take care of them, etc.... then work where you want. If asked, say family member got better in the interim.

No one cares about some stupid 1L intern over the summer. Judges don't care.


LOL

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:58 pm

nshapkar wrote:Smoke a blunt with the judge and tell it to him straight, he'll understand.



Jack Camp's not on the federal bench anymore, so I don't think he's hiring interns for this summer.

saladfiend
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby saladfiend » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:57 pm

It's a bit rich for these hypothetical judges to come down so hard on someone who changes his/her mind when he/she would be 1) working for free and 2) could be easily replaced with another law student.

Sean1269
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby Sean1269 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Don't worry about not taking the judge job. Unless you are trying to be a clerk after school. Chances are you will never see that judge again because: there are a lot of judges, most "lawyering" is outside the courtroom anyways. Don't worry, be respectful, kindly and succinctly tell them why you are backing out.

User avatar
chicago520
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby chicago520 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:07 pm

actually I retract my last post. If you withdraw, this federal judge will make time to send out daily email blasts with your name in it to all federal judges in the United States, and alert every state bar in the united states of your unprofessional behavior. This is a serious offense. 1L interns are truly valuable to the federal judiciary, and they really need your Legal Insight. The Judge is relying on YOU.

So, please, don't withdraw. Your legal career depends on it!!!!!

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Reneging 1L Fed judge internship

Postby wiseowl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 pm

Sean1269 wrote:Don't worry about not taking the judge job. Unless you are trying to be a clerk after school. Chances are you will never see that judge again because: there are a lot of judges, most "lawyering" is outside the courtroom anyways. Don't worry, be respectful, kindly and succinctly tell them why you are backing out.


LOL




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.