1L Internship With Federal Judge: Question(?)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bilboteabaggins

1L Internship With Federal Judge: Question(?)

Postby bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:37 pm

I recently was offered and accepted an internship with a federal judge. I go to a TTT in the midwest. I was told by someone connected with career services and holding a lot of weight at the school, that I should not take this position. He told me that because Im a 1L I will probably do a poor job because I haven't taken evidence or con law.

Obviously, I think this is completely ridiculous. Those who have done internships with federal district judges as a 1L: Did you perform poorly or was there even a problem that you faced having not taken con law or evidence?

Thanks.

P.S. Im top of my class.

SteelReserve

Re: 1L Internship With Federal Judge: Question(?)

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Another reminder of how worthless if not detrimental some career services departments can be. The person who gave you that advice could not possibly be more wrong

1L interns in federal district court are very, very, very common. I myself was one during my 1L summer; and my judge gave his interns work more substantive than most (habeas opinions, insurance opinions, etc etc).

All your work is going to be vetted by the law clerk before it ever reaches the judge's desk, so if it's off base, he will make that known to you and you can change it.

Then the judge will check it, the clerk will check it, etc. Even if you are nervous about not having con law experience, you could write an opinion saying "LoLZ law suckzorz!"; it doesn't matter because the clerks will end up editing accordingly.

Finally, many federal or state judges are handing out internships due to the economy to help out young potential attorneys because they too realize how bad the market is and they are willing to help out. It is folly to turn down a good internship.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:50 pm

I was told to not accept the position because I would "make the school look bad." I want to get as much support for my position as possible, so anyone who has done an internship in the past, please comment.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 pm

bilboteabaggins wrote:I was told to not accept the position because I would "make the school look bad." I want to get as much support for my position as possible, so anyone who has done an internship in the past, please comment.

Every other school encourages these for the opposite reason. In fact, every other law school's CSO would probably tell you that you HAVE to ACCEPT the offer. Rejecting, not accepting, makes the school look bad. Maybe you misheard him and he said you have to accept it.
Last edited by lawloser22 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:05 pm

WTF? Take the position and apply for a transfer out of your school.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:08 pm

keg411 wrote:WTF? Take the position and apply for a transfer out of your school.

This.

thescienceguy

Postby thescienceguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

bilboteabaggins wrote:I recently was offered and accepted an internship with a federal judge. I go to a TTT in the midwest. I was told by someone connected with career services and holding a lot of weight at the school, that I should not take this position. He told me that because Im a 1L I will probably do a poor job because I haven't taken evidence or con law.

Obviously, I think this is completely ridiculous. Those who have done internships with federal district judges as a 1L: Did you perform poorly or was there even a problem that you faced having not taken con law or evidence?

Thanks.

P.S. Im top of my class.

Wow. what kind of school do you go to? Time to transfer.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
keg411 wrote:WTF? Take the position and apply for a transfer out of your school.

This.

Already applied EA to GULC.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:17 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
bilboteabaggins wrote:I was told to not accept the position because I would "make the school look bad." I want to get as much support for my position as possible, so anyone who has done an internship in the past, please comment.

Every other school encourages these for the opposite reason. In fact, every other law school's CSO would probably tell you that you HAVE to ACCEPT the offer. Rejecting, not accepting, makes the school look bad. Maybe you misheard him and he said you have to accept it.

No, he told me I should consider reneging. I heard him loud and clear.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Interning with a federal judge is a pretty good thing to put on a resume. Your CSO sucks, transfer ASAP.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Anyone else have any input on whether you used evidence or con law in your 1L internship with a federal judge?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:47 pm

He told you that you would make the school look bad? Your CSO should take a look in the mirror if they wanna figure out who makes the school look bad. You sound like you deserve better than this place, wherever it is. Its almost as if they want to sabotage you in order to stop you from transferring out. Don't listen to a word.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:35 pm

That is ridiculous. I had a summer judicial internship in the Court of Federal Claims when I was a 0L. Don't let some idiot at your career services detriment your resume for some illogical reason.

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm

I feel like you must be making this story up. I do think that some career services people have agendas, but it is fairly well accepted that you cannot reject an offer to intern for a judge. That certainly would make your school look bad. Some schools would sanction you for doing that.

If it is true, your career services person ought to be fired immediately. Still, that doesn't mean you should transfer. If we had to transfer every time we found an asshole, we'd run out of schools in a hurry.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm

not making this story up at all. i guess that just goes to show how unfortunate the situation is.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

No you are fine your CSO is either a. joking b. terribly misinformed and in any event you should not listen to him.

Set up transfer apps EA to GULC and ED to Chicago and godspeed.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 am

What is "connected with career services and holding a lot of weight at the school"? I don't understand.

j7108

Postby j7108 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

I actually go to school with this cat, and I can attest to this issue because I went through it the day before he did. As #1 in the part-time program and top 3% combined he told me to not apply to ANY internships with judges because I didn't qualify.

j7108

Postby j7108 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:29 am

ggocat wrote:What is "connected with career services and holding a lot of weight at the school"? I don't understand.

The professor runs all the public interest programs and clinics at the school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am

I agree that that OP should tell us which school this is because it would be an anecdote we should share with prospective students if we hear them mention the school.

phillaw

Postby phillaw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 am

your situation is not unfortunate. it's actually extremely fortunate. a federal internship after 1L is great for your resume. all you need to know how to do is pull up material on lexis/westlaw. when i interned, i used no substantive legal knowledge from 1L (and I had even taken con law). The judge/clerk who hired you saw your transcript. They know what classes you took, and will set expectations from there. have you researched using lexis/westlaw and written a legal memo? if so, you are all set. honestly, that's it.

bilboteabaggins

Postby bilboteabaggins » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:13 am

can't out the school now. ill strongly consider it later this summer/ next year though and do a write-up about my experience.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:37 am

bilboteabaggins wrote:can't out the school now. ill strongly consider it later this summer/ next year though and do a write-up about my experience.

Can you at least tell him that he needs to resign from his position, for the sake of the school's reputation?

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 am

You should out this guy. The worst thing a school can do to their own graduates in this economy is to undermine them. This is simply atrocious. I hope that this is at least a state school so you're not paying an arm and a leg for this shenanigans.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:12 am

I interned for a COA judge. I can tell you that you will not be negatively affected by not knowing conlaw or evidence. Will evidence or conlaw issues come up? Sure, they probably will. But if they do you will either (1) do research on westlaw, which I presume you know how to do if you did well 1L year, or (2) ask the clerks for background, which they will be happy to give.

Return to “Legal Employment”