Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm a 1L at a T20 (NOT in NYC). Was offered and accepted an unpaid, 1L summer internship at a public defender's office in a secondary market. I went to undergrad and worked in this market previously, so it's all over my resume. The thing is: I do NOT, under any circumstance, want to live or make a career in this market.

I want to work in NYC after graduation. Now I was offered an (unpaid) position with a state judge in the NYC/Long Island/Westchester metro area.

I know etiquette dictates that you should not renege on an internship acceptance. However, I'm concerned that if I work in this secondary market during my 1L summer, I'll never find a 2L job in NYC. My resume will be even further plastered with the secondary market. Everyone talks about making connections in the market you want to ultimately work in.

What should I do?

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Rescind. You'll burn the bridge I'm sure, but you don't want to work in that market anyhow, and besides, there's always another PD office. Think of it as Cortez burning his ships upon reaching new world.

lawschooliseasy
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby lawschooliseasy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Protecting your reputation > Getting a line that says NY on your resume.

Generally NY is not a place that you have to sell people on wanting to move anyway. This would be a much more difficult situation if your resume was plastered with NY and you were looking to move out to a secondary market.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby eandy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that when you apply to work for a judge, you do so knowing that if they offer you that you have to do it. That also means that if you accept another offer, you have to withdraw apps to judges.

Is that not the case?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Protecting your reputation > Getting a line that says NY on your resume.

Generally NY is not a place that you have to sell people on wanting to move anyway. This would be a much more difficult situation if your resume was plastered with NY and you were looking to move out to a secondary market.


I hear this prevailing thought about how it will negatively impact my reputation, but how true is this? I mean, it's not like they send press releases out to the nationwide legal community with names of 1L's who decided to rescind unpaid 1L internships...

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:Protecting your reputation > Getting a line that says NY on your resume.

Generally NY is not a place that you have to sell people on wanting to move anyway. This would be a much more difficult situation if your resume was plastered with NY and you were looking to move out to a secondary market.


I hear this prevailing thought about how it will negatively impact my reputation, but how true is this? I mean, it's not like they send press releases out to the nationwide legal community with names of 1L's who decided to rescind unpaid 1L internships...


The smaller the market and niche, the more you have to worry about it. If you burn the Duluth Public Defender and you want to practice in Duluth, it's a problem since the legal community is going to be small and everyone's going to know each other. If you burn the Duluth Public Defender and you want to practice in New York, you're fortunate that no one will even know where Duluth is.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:58 pm

NYC is the market that requires the least amount of ties. As long as you are at a national school and not a school that mostly feeds your home market or another market, you will probably be okay for 2L OCI.

If your school does not have any NYC firms that come to OCI and is not even close in geography to NYC, then you will probably not get NYC at 2L OCI anyway and should work on making connections in your home market unless you have top grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm

You should honor your commitment. This shouldn't even be a grey line, be true to your word.

User avatar
174
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby 174 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You should honor your commitment. This shouldn't even be a grey line, be true to your word.

Cool abuse of anon.


OP, you should talk to your CDO/OCS.

littlebit
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:01 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby littlebit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 pm

174 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You should honor your commitment. This shouldn't even be a grey line, be true to your word.

Cool abuse of anon.


OP, you should talk to your CDO/OCS.

oops that was me, just hit the wrong button. I want people to know that when I give my word, it will be honored - every time, not just when convenient or best for me.
Last edited by littlebit on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby zomginternets » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:24 pm

I'm sure OCI employers won't care that much about where your 1L internship was, and I think it would be unprofessional to rescind an acceptance, particularly if it's been a while since you accepted. As someone on this board put it not too long ago, you'd be pretty pissed if an employer rescinded their offer to you after you accepted it because they found someone better. it works both ways.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Moxie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:26 pm

eandy wrote:I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that when you apply to work for a judge, you do so knowing that if they offer you that you have to do it. That also means that if you accept another offer, you have to withdraw apps to judges.

Is that not the case?


This is generally for clerkships, not internships. And OP, I think you should still be ok for OCI even working in the secondary market for 1L summer. If the 2nd opportunity paid, I'd advise you to renege, but I don't see how you can renege on the original acceptance considering the opportunities won't be drastically different?

Furthermore, why didn't you tell the 2nd opportunity you had a deadline to accept the 1st opportunity by, before accepting? Then you could've avoided this whole situation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:01 am

Moxie wrote:
eandy wrote:I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that when you apply to work for a judge, you do so knowing that if they offer you that you have to do it. That also means that if you accept another offer, you have to withdraw apps to judges.

Is that not the case?


This is generally for clerkships, not internships. And OP, I think you should still be ok for OCI even working in the secondary market for 1L summer. If the 2nd opportunity paid, I'd advise you to renege, but I don't see how you can renege on the original acceptance considering the opportunities won't be drastically different?


Thanks for the insight. Maybe the 1L summer in secondary market wouldn't KILL me for 2L, but wouldn't it help my chances at NY 2L to work in NY during 1L summer?

The problem is that EVERYTHING on my resume is from this secondary market that I absolutely, under no circumstance, want to permanently live/work in.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby GeePee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 am

Why don't you call up and see if you can arrange a split? That way you get the practical experience at the PD and the writing/research experience of the judicial internship, plus you get to vary your resume a bit from a secondary market you don't want.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Moxie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the insight. Maybe the 1L summer in secondary market wouldn't KILL me for 2L, but wouldn't it help my chances at NY 2L to work in NY during 1L summer?

The problem is that EVERYTHING on my resume is from this secondary market that I absolutely, under no circumstance, want to permanently live/work in.


If you have a legitimate reason for "Why NY", then you'll be ok. Plus, NY firms hire an exponentially bigger number of law students than any other market, so it's not an unusual situation to happen.

Basically, do whatever you want, but I think courtesy trumps all in this situation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:15 pm

bumping this thread.


Does anyone have any first hand experience doing this?

I'm torn between unpaid PI and paid small firm (30ish lawyers).

Can you just be upfront and say my financial situation right now is very bleak?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know etiquette dictates that you should not renege on an internship acceptance. However, I'm concerned that if I work in this secondary market during my 1L summer, I'll never find a 2L job in NYC. My resume will be even further plastered with the secondary market. Everyone talks about making connections in the market you want to ultimately work in.

What should I do?


unpaid internship at the government? Yeah it's a douche move, but one douche move does not a douchebag make

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I am making the same decision. I accepted what seemed to be a cool job, but after some research I learned the place is shady.

I asked a very respected lawyer if it was OK to renege on my acceptance and take a better job elsewhere. His response was, "The only thing you have to worry about in life is what is going to feed your family. Turning down a lame job you already accepted for a better job is not something I or any other partners I know would fault a young family man for."

Sam Seaborn
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:36 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Sam Seaborn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am making the same decision. I accepted what seemed to be a cool job, but after some research I learned the place is shady.

I asked a very respected lawyer if it was OK to renege on my acceptance and take a better job elsewhere. His response was, "The only thing you have to worry about in life is what is going to feed your family. Turning down a lame job job at my firm that you already accepted for a better job is not something I or any other partners I know would fault forgive a young family man for."


Fixed it for ya.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 am

Sam Seaborn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am making the same decision. I accepted what seemed to be a cool job, but after some research I learned the place is shady.

I asked a very respected lawyer if it was OK to renege on my acceptance and take a better job elsewhere. His response was, "The only thing you have to worry about in life is what is going to feed your family. Turning down a lame job job at my firm that you already accepted for a better job is not something I or any other partners I know would fault forgive a young family man for."


Fixed it for ya.

I forgot to check for snoops before I asked that question to the principal partner at a top firm in my market. I guess you were lurking behind the wet-bar.

I'm sure you have actually asked someone who makes employment decisions all the time, rather than listening to other students on an internet forum, and on that wisdom you edited my comment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:52 am

(2L)I accepted an unpaid position at a place that would have been cool to work at. Then an opportunity opened up for a paid position in a location where I really want to end up, and for a firm that I want to work for. I have a family, and I decided to take the 2nd position and back out of the first. I wasn't actively seeking the second opportunity after getting the first, but it came about and I grabbed it. If the second job was unpaid I don't know if I would have taken it though.

I do feel bad about backing out of the first offer, but ultimately feel like I made the smart decision. The mistake I made was accepting the 1st offer too hastily.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(2L)I accepted an unpaid position at a place that would have been cool to work at. Then an opportunity opened up for a paid position in a location where I really want to end up, and for a firm that I want to work for. I have a family, and I decided to take the 2nd position and back out of the first. I wasn't actively seeking the second opportunity after getting the first, but it came about and I grabbed it. If the second job was unpaid I don't know if I would have taken it though.

I do feel bad about backing out of the first offer, but ultimately feel like I made the smart decision. The mistake I made was accepting the 1st offer too hastily.


EXACT same situation here. It was fine. The legal reputation thing is kind of a myth, or at least hugely exaggerated. I'm also willing to bet everyone saying "honor your word" is under 25. Accepting a 1L volunteer position is not exactly taking marital vows, relax. I would handle it as tactfully and honestly as possible, but if you didn't actively seek the 2nd position after accepting, you've done nothing wrong.

Tenderloin1981
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Tenderloin1981 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:34 pm

My friend was in a similar situation last year. She accepted an unpaid internship with a non-profit she was not interested in (out of desperation, because Career Services told her that she might find nothing if she didn't accept that job), and then something better came along. She asked the non-profit organization if they would let her go, and they said yes.

I think that as long as you are genuine about it (and you don't even need to tell them where you are going to be working), you should be fine. Good luck!

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:51 pm

What kinda judge? Doesn't sound like a better experience.

lsatClay
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: Rescinding 1L Summer Internship Acceptance?

Postby lsatClay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bumping this thread.


Does anyone have any first hand experience doing this?

I'm torn between unpaid PI and paid small firm (30ish lawyers).

Can you just be upfront and say my financial situation right now is very bleak?


I did the exact same thing. Got a local clerkship a week ago, and had to renege on a position with my hometown prosecuting attorney. It didn't really sound like they cared all that much.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.