(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ns77770

Re: Have I killed my career before it started?

Postby ns77770 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:53 pm

lol tagged for incoming shit storm

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize I am an idiot and I will probably catch some heat for this. There were some things on my law school application that may have been embellished somewhat - nothing regarding my criminal history or anything like that. My listed work history is not entirely accurate. One of the listed summer internships didn't happen. It wasn't a fancy lie like I worked at a big law firm or anything. It was a stupid, insignificant lie that I deeply regret. A family member worked there and told me to put it down that I worked there for a summer. I realize it was completely foolish and, in hindsight, it probably did not even come close to making/breaking my application, but I failed to consider the consequences of this while I was a stupid undergrad desperate to get into a decent law school. I'm about to graduate, I'm in the process of filling out bar apps, and the CF portion is weighing heavily on my mind right about now. What do I do? Should I come clean to my law school? What are the chances this will end in being expelled right before graduation? I don't plan on lying on the bar apps, so I'm not sure I have any other choice except coming clean, but I don't know what to do. :oops:

Presuming this is't a flame, then yes you should tell your LS now. Why shoot yourself in the foot later, you might end up with bigdebt and no job prospects b/c you can't pass a C&F, I doubt it's a big deal if you own up to it on your own, but should it be found out later...blech.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:09 pm

The right thing to do is to come clean, but how on earth is anyone going to find out that a pre-LS internship didn't happen? Hopefully you never put it on any of your resumes applying for legal jobs. Is that the only thing?

esq

Postby esq » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm

I don't think it matters. I doubt they care about investigating internships very much because most of this sort of volunteer work is undocumented anyway. I would be very surprised if they went over this sort of stuff with a fine toothed comb, it would take too much work. And the only way that they would be interested in reviewing you enough to discover something like this is if you are the most interesting man in the world. Are you?

Sure, it's a bit unethical to claim, but I don't think you should worry about it too much. I say move on with your life, keep your mouth shut, and never put yourself in this situation again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Just tell the school that their was some confusion regarding your capacity in this internship, and, in hindsight, it probably should not have been included on your resume. Likely, they won't question it since you've sunk countless thousands of dollars into their institution. If they ask you to elaborate, tell them you worked/shadowed under this family member you mentioned, but weren't an official intern.

There are ways to be political, so that you don't completely fuck yourself over.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 pm

You lied on your law school application for a soft factor?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 pm

TTH wrote:You lied on your law school application for a soft factor?

is there another part you could lie about? LSAT and GPA matter nothing else.. and you cant lie about either

Edit: OP: what school?

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:02 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
TTH wrote:You lied on your law school application for a soft factor?

is there another part you could lie about? LSAT and GPA matter nothing else.. and you cant lie about either

C&F

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:09 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:Just tell the school that their was some confusion regarding your capacity in this internship, and, in hindsight, it probably should not have been included on your resume. Likely, they won't question it since you've sunk countless thousands of dollars into their institution. If they ask you to elaborate, tell them you worked/shadowed under this family member you mentioned, but weren't an official intern.

There are ways to be political, so that you don't completely fuck yourself over.

THIS. Explain it in a way that makes sense, like above. They can't blame you for an "innocent misunderstanding" so make it into that. While you're at it, give that family friend a heads up in case anyone calls to confirm anything.

mths

Postby mths » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 pm

and stop posting about it on the internet

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:Just tell the school that their was some confusion regarding your capacity in this internship, and, in hindsight, it probably should not have been included on your resume. Likely, they won't question it since you've sunk countless thousands of dollars into their institution. If they ask you to elaborate, tell them you worked/shadowed under this family member you mentioned, but weren't an official intern.

THIS. Explain it in a way that makes sense, like above. They can't blame you for an "innocent misunderstanding" so make it into that. While you're at it, give that family friend a heads up in case anyone calls to confirm anything.

Read as: Keep digging, you're in too deep! :roll:

Return to “Legal Employment”