Work and Save $$$ or Get Experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrPapagiorgio

Work and Save $$$ or Get Experience

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this so feel free to move it.

I was talking with a family friend (who happens to be a partner at a small law firm) and when I mentioned to him that I will be attending law school in the fall, he said that he would be happy to offer me a paid internship for 1L summer. He also said that if I wanted to, I could do an unpaid internship for 0L summer (this year).

The question is: does the benefit of having 2 summers of experience in OCI outweigh the money I would earn and save by not doing the internship this summer and working at my job(about 15K)? Or would the one year of the internship be enough experience for OCI?

TJISMYHERO

Re: Work and Save $$$ or Get Experience

Postby TJISMYHERO » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:33 pm

I am in a similar situation +1

mez06

Postby mez06 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Just do the 1L year with him. Save $$$. And take the partner out to lunch a few times this summer.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 pm

So one year of experience + $$$ saved from this summer > 2 years of legal experience in OCI?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:18 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:So one year of experience + $$$ saved from this summer > 2 years of legal experience in OCI?

Yes, 2 summers at the same place won't improve your resume. Plus, 0L summers don't matter. Make some money.

Return to “Legal Employment”