Patent attorneys Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
florentine

Bronze

Patent attorneys

Post by florentine » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:56 pm

I was wondering if any patent attorneys out there have graduated without technical or science backgrounds and then sat for the Patent Bar under Category B by finishing classes? Anyone out there? Is this common?

truevines

Bronze

Re: Patent attorneys

Post by truevines » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 am

florentine wrote:I was wondering if any patent attorneys out there have graduated without technical or science backgrounds and then sat for the Patent Bar under Category B by finishing classes? Anyone out there? Is this common?
It can be done. I know at least two attorneys who sat for the patent bar on the Cat. B ground.
But they're both patent litigators.

What do you want to do? Patent prosecution or patent litigation?

For prosecution, a (good/prestigious/advanced) technical degree is all that matters.
For litigation, having passed the patent bar will give you some boost, but not as much as good grades, in my opinion.

florentine

Bronze

Re: Patent attorneys

Post by florentine » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:55 am

Litigation but I feel like if I even want to break into IP law and to be taken seriously, you have to sit for the patent bat. Is there any truth to that? Also thanks so much for answering!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”