0L Summer intern/extern at USPTO Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
androstan

Gold

0L Summer intern/extern at USPTO

Post by androstan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 am

I was offered a intern/extern position for this coming summer with art unit 2800 (2800 Semiconductors/Memory, Circuits/Measuring & Testing, Optics/Photocopying). June sixth - August first.

The bad news is that it's unpaid. The good news is that it would be a great item on my resume, which is otherwise devoid of IP/patent experience. The other good news is that it's in a fairly "hot" and in-demand art unit. Although my master's degree work is labelled "chemistry", I did a lot of mass spec, spectroscopy, electron and ion optics, and computational chem. I would have trouble selling myself to the life sciences people without a PhD or significant experience in the area. I may also have trouble selling myself to the EE people because I lack the formal EE training. This would be my way of demonstrating competency and interest in the area.

It includes two weeks of the "academy" that new patent examiners take. I may yet take a position as an examiner while going to GW part-time.

What are the opinions of those that know something about patents/IP/USPTO/GW about taking this vs. continuing to adjunct at the local community college over the summer?

deadpoetnsp

Bronze

Re: 0L Summer intern/extern at USPTO

Post by deadpoetnsp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 am

I've worked in IP for some time, and *strongly* recommend that you take up the USPTO gig.

androstan

Gold

Re: 0L Summer intern/extern at USPTO

Post by androstan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm

bump

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”