National/Int'l Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

National/Int'l Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:11 am

For national/int'l firms that you get a callback from during (fall) OCI, is it a faux pas to mention that you might be interested in 'transferring' to another office at some point down the road? Or are they only interested in keeping you in the office that you will be interviewing for? I'm eying several firms with offices on both coasts and in Europe/Asia with the hopes that I might be able to gain experience in some of their offices either on the other coast or abroad, and I'm wondering if this is something I should mention or just keep to myself.

I've heard different firms have different degrees of independence between their offices, and that some are happy to let you move around a bit to gain broader experience. Lies?

Sup Kid

Re: National/Int'l Firms

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Unless you KNOW that the firm is completely fine with associates transferring to another office (which is hardly to be the case for most firms), keep it to yourself. If something comes up after you get the job that requires you to move, that's when the firm needs to know. The mere fact you may want to switch offices should not be brought up in an interview.

elenatokyo

Re: National/Int'l Firms

Postby elenatokyo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 pm

You must be sure that your desire to check out their foreign offices is something the firm really wants. A good indication would be their flexibility in letting you split your summer between their offices in the US and abroad. But I would suggest to find that out before the interview because during the interview they will not tell you the truth. A way to do it is to contact their recruiting staff and ask for contacts of associates who split their summer this way.

Usually, firms have independent financials for each office - meaning one office does not want to spend all the big bucks on training you only to see you go and make money for another office. Also, a lot of practices are very location specific, so again if they waste time training you, they want to make sure you stick around to help them.

Return to “Legal Employment”