Reneging on my acceptance of 1L Summer Job Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Renegging on my acceptance of 1L Summer Job Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is on the table is leading the gov't job on until you see if you get the offer, and giving the firm job pressure to hurry up and decide. Pretty slimy, but you'd have plenty of time to cry yourself to the bank while not looking for a 2L job next year.
OP here. Hypo became a reality. Does anyone with any sort of experience in the legal community have an idea of the real negative repercussions of reneging? Personal morals aside, how will this affect my career? I am probably just rationalizing here, but I just can't imagine that a human being would see this as the worst thing in the world if I explained the situation. I feel like he would see that the damage I'd be doing to the gov't is totally disproportionate the damage I'd be doing to myself.
A good friend of mine did something very similar as a 1L. The organization withdrawn from totally understood, picked another candidate, and the world did not end.

You're taking a risk. If the original job has a vindictive self-important attorney in charge of hiring, and you go to a school with a hard-line career services office, you're going to suffer some real consequences. I know some schools state students who do things like this will be barred from 2L OCI.

But in the real world, most 1L employers would be disappointed but the drama would end there. Nobody here can handicap it for you though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 am

I would just do what you need to do. We're all grown-ups, and sure you may throw your school under the bus, but all of our schools have done that to us at some point. Or will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 am

To OP and those with DA experience (personally or heard from friends or relatives):

What exactly do 1Ls do in the DA office?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 am

I wonder why everyone in this thread is anon

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I wonder why everyone in this thread is anon
+1. 90% of the posts ITT don't need to be anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I wonder why everyone in this thread is anon
Because d00d, adcommz lurk these threadz! Don't wanna out myself!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”