Bad Google Search Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Scurredsitless1

Bad Google Search Results

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:08 am

I have a fairly unique name. I thought it was totally unique until about a year ago when my google search results were no longer all about me. Nearly all of the first page is my information, which was all good, as an athlete, there are many positive results. However, there are 2 links that are not me.

The very first thing to come up is "SCURREDSITLESS MUG SHOT from xxxxx county jail". The mug shot is of a guy that is my height, weight, eye color and hair color, but he's about 5 years older than me. The mug shot is from Florida, which is not where I live, but it's certainly a popular vacation spot for people from my region.

Later, there is a link from Justia where another scurredsitless is being sued for violating someone's civil rights (i can't find anything more on it). This is from a flyover state for which I have never been.

Should I be worried about this? Is there anything I can do? Do employers really google canidates? And how far will they dig to find out if the bad results are actually me?

If anyone has experience in hiring that could shed some light on this, that would be awesome.

Anonymous User

Re: Bad Google Search Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:23 am

put your middle name on stuff. that, combined with your birthday and geographic location should be plenty for employers to know it's not you.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:25 am

You google your name?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 am

Patriot1208 wrote:You google your name?

Yes. Every self-respecting narcissist should.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:put your middle name on stuff. that, combined with your birthday and geographic location should be plenty for employers to know it's not you.

That's a good call. Thanks.

You google your name?

I think a lot of employers do it, so I wanted to know what they would find. It only takes a moment, you may want to try it.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:39 pm

naterj wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:You google your name?

Yes. Every self-respecting narcissist should.

I google my name at least once every week to make sure that I don't miss out on any possible updates. It is also imperative that I remain number one among the duplicates.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:43 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I have a fairly unique name. I thought it was totally unique until about a year ago when my google search results were no longer all about me. Nearly all of the first page is my information, which was all good, as an athlete, there are many positive results. However, there are 2 links that are not me.

The very first thing to come up is "SCURREDSITLESS MUG SHOT from xxxxx county jail". The mug shot is of a guy that is my height, weight, eye color and hair color, but he's about 5 years older than me. The mug shot is from Florida, which is not where I live, but it's certainly a popular vacation spot for people from my region.

Later, there is a link from Justia where another scurredsitless is being sued for violating someone's civil rights (i can't find anything more on it). This is from a flyover state for which I have never been.

Should I be worried about this? Is there anything I can do? Do employers really google canidates? And how far will they dig to find out if the bad results are actually me?

If anyone has experience in hiring that could shed some light on this, that would be awesome.

They will be able to tell it's not you by your birthdate, and place of residence. Middle name helps too.

Return to “Legal Employment”