Working top fed gov job for summer and RA for 5-10hrs a week

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working top fed gov job for summer and RA for 5-10hrs a week

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Advisable? I'm a 1L.

The RA position will be in an area I'm very interested in learning more about and will fill a subject matter hole in my resume that I think will make me a stronger candidate come OCI. I'm interested in a specific firm that deals primarily in this area, and they're very selective so I figure having the experience will be useful in increasing my odds of getting a callback. True? Without the RA work, I will have no formal experience in this area, but would in all likelihood be well read in it -- at least enough to discuss key issues in a moderately comprehensive way.

I'm trying to find out what hours I'll be working at the gov job, but if it's 9 to 5, I figure why not? The gov job isn't paid, and the RA position will be $12/hr.

zomginternets

Re: Working top fed gov job for summer and RA for 5-10hrs a week

Postby zomginternets » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Not sure what your concern is.

My understanding is that most 1L summer jobs don't involve back breaking hours (not sure if there's an exception for government jobs..). So if you're interested in the area that your professor is researching, then I don't think an additional 5-10 hours/week is going to kill you. I say take it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:48 pm

2 concerns:

1) Whether the RA job may interfere with my performance in my main job; and
2) Whether the RA experience will be of use to me in OCI and thus would be worth the hassle despite having a full-time job.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I doubt it will significantly interfere with your job performance, if your obligation is really just 5-10 hours a week. i.e. I don't think a government job is going to leave you with <5-10 hours of free time each week that you can spend on your RA duties.

And I think even if the RA position doesn't look that impressive on paper, it will enable you to talk intelligently about the topic with potential employers in that field come OCI.

2LLLL

Postby 2LLLL » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 am

Definitely do-able. I worked for my state's AG last summer, and a headline federal agency (think SEC/DOJ/FDA/FERC) this fall, and at both positions I had a lot of downtime where I was just surfing the internet. You can definitely put that time to good use doing RA research. Even if you feel bad about doing RA stuff on federal time, you can easily do both if its only 5-10 hours a week. The government position isn't going to have you working long hours, and it'll be nice for you to have some $$$ coming in on the side.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:49 am

2LLLL wrote:Definitely do-able. I worked for my state's AG last summer, and a headline federal agency (think SEC/DOJ/FDA/FERC) this fall, and at both positions I had a lot of downtime where I was just surfing the internet. You can definitely put that time to good use doing RA research. Even if you feel bad about doing RA stuff on federal time, you can easily do both if its only 5-10 hours a week. The government position isn't going to have you working long hours, and it'll be nice for you to have some $$$ coming in on the side.

Interesting. My friend will be working at the USTR which officially has working hours 9 to 5, but he has heard rumors that the workload is actually significantly more ... apparently stretching to almost 12 hours a day. This was my main concern.

Return to “Legal Employment”