Doing nothing for 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby rayiner » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:00 pm

sullidop wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Veyron wrote:While no one actually cares much about what you do this summer, its a bit foolish to argue that working for a judge is better than an SA unless one wants to go into accademic or clerk at a high level.


The fuck? It's a lot foolish to argue that working for a judge is better than an SA in any context. A judicial internship, at any level, is not a credential that will be relevant in the slightest to academic or clerkship job seeking.


It's damn near impossible to land any decent clerkship without having interned with a judge beforehand and pushing that judge to throw your name around.


Not at all.

User avatar
cranberry
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby cranberry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 pm

try applying for development-type positions with arts organizations and non-profits. they will always be happy for help from a law student and you will get a lot of experience in grant and contract writing to put on your resume.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
sullidop wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Veyron wrote:While no one actually cares much about what you do this summer, its a bit foolish to argue that working for a judge is better than an SA unless one wants to go into accademic or clerk at a high level.


The fuck? It's a lot foolish to argue that working for a judge is better than an SA in any context. A judicial internship, at any level, is not a credential that will be relevant in the slightest to academic or clerkship job seeking.


It's damn near impossible to land any decent clerkship without having interned with a judge beforehand and pushing that judge to throw your name around.


Not at all.


The only thing that's better about a SA is the money. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:26 am

ndirish2010 wrote:The only thing that's better about a SA is the money. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

Not necessarily. Maybe it is market-dependent, but many of the secondary market firms in the midwest hire 1Ls with the hope of bringing them back as 2Ls and eventually associates.

kazootey
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby kazootey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm

OP Here: I got just about the minimum law related activity for the summer. It's a volunteer gig doing Victim Assistance with the County Attorney for this summer. Lots of trials and hearings, talking to witnesses and victims, lots of paperwork (and some translating to Spanish), etc. Good enough?

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm

kazootey wrote:OP Here: I got just about the minimum law related activity for the summer. It's a volunteer gig doing Victim Assistance with the County Attorney for this summer. Lots of trials and hearings, talking to witnesses and victims, lots of paperwork (and some translating to Spanish), etc. Good enough?


Yes.

Anyhing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nothing.

kazootey
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby kazootey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:58 pm

Even if it's only 10-15 hours per week? I mean I could do that much during the school year, maybe employers expect summer work to be a bit more extensive than just 10-15 hours.

YourCaptain wrote:
kazootey wrote:OP Here: I got just about the minimum law related activity for the summer. It's a volunteer gig doing Victim Assistance with the County Attorney for this summer. Lots of trials and hearings, talking to witnesses and victims, lots of paperwork (and some translating to Spanish), etc. Good enough?


Yes.

Anyhing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nothing.

warumnicht
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby warumnicht » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm

kazootey wrote:Even if it's only 10-15 hours per week? I mean I could do that much during the school year, maybe employers expect summer work to be a bit more extensive than just 10-15 hours.

YourCaptain wrote:
kazootey wrote:OP Here: I got just about the minimum law related activity for the summer. It's a volunteer gig doing Victim Assistance with the County Attorney for this summer. Lots of trials and hearings, talking to witnesses and victims, lots of paperwork (and some translating to Spanish), etc. Good enough?


Yes.

Anyhing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nothing.


No one has to know; it's not like you're putting your exact work schedule on your resume. The chances of interviewers asking if it was a part-time job are very slim, so just don't bring it up. It's possible that they will check references and your supervisor will give you away, but honestly, if they are taking the time to check references, they clearly like you and are more concerned with finding out if you did good work over the summer -- not how many hours you worked.

Plus, working 10-15 hours gives you the opportunity to find a paid gig elsewhere to pay the bills!

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Doing nothing for 1L summer?

Postby sullidop » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:38 am

warumnicht wrote:
kazootey wrote:Even if it's only 10-15 hours per week? I mean I could do that much during the school year, maybe employers expect summer work to be a bit more extensive than just 10-15 hours.

YourCaptain wrote:
kazootey wrote:OP Here: I got just about the minimum law related activity for the summer. It's a volunteer gig doing Victim Assistance with the County Attorney for this summer. Lots of trials and hearings, talking to witnesses and victims, lots of paperwork (and some translating to Spanish), etc. Good enough?


Yes.

Anyhing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nothing.


No one has to know; it's not like you're putting your exact work schedule on your resume. The chances of interviewers asking if it was a part-time job are very slim, so just don't bring it up. It's possible that they will check references and your supervisor will give you away, but honestly, if they are taking the time to check references, they clearly like you and are more concerned with finding out if you did good work over the summer -- not how many hours you worked.

Plus, working 10-15 hours gives you the opportunity to find a paid gig elsewhere to pay the bills!


Credited. As long as you get something out of it to talk about, then it'll be worthwhile regardless of your hours per week.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.