Interview Email

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview Email

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm

dumb question, I know...but how do you respond to interview requests over email? Is it okay to ask who you will be meeting with and where to go, etc?

zomginternets

Re: Interview Email

Postby zomginternets » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:37 pm

You will presumably meet the employer at their office. Don't ask who you'll be interviewing with. Just tell them when you are available, and show up to their office in a suit.

beaverfuzz

Postby beaverfuzz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 am

zomginternets wrote:You will presumably meet the employer at their office. Don't ask who you'll be interviewing with. Just tell them when you are available, and show up to their office in a suit.

I disagree with this to the extent with whom you'll be meeting is not obvious from the size of the firm. It is appropriate to ask as the date approaches (most firms will tell you on their own). In addition to researching the firm in general, you should also be familiar enough with the bios of your interviewers to ask questions tailored to them (for example, asking the pro bono chair a detailed question about pro bono opportunities).

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:14 pm

beaverfuzz wrote:
zomginternets wrote:You will presumably meet the employer at their office. Don't ask who you'll be interviewing with. Just tell them when you are available, and show up to their office in a suit.

I disagree with this to the extent with whom you'll be meeting is not obvious from the size of the firm. It is appropriate to ask as the date approaches (most firms will tell you on their own). In addition to researching the firm in general, you should also be familiar enough with the bios of your interviewers to ask questions tailored to them (for example, asking the pro bono chair a detailed question about pro bono opportunities).

Yes, absolutely ask who you will be interviewing with. It is never unacceptable, and in fact if someone I was interviewing didn't take the time to look at my profile, that would be the end of it for me. Why? Want to know the first thing you do when you first encounter opposing counsel in the real world? Look at their profile. So look at the interviewer's profile and prepare intelligent questions about what they do for a living. This is because the trick to every interview is to make it all about the interviewer, not yourself. Just trust me, people LOVE to talk about themselves, and they will like you for giving them the opportunity. People like people who like them. I promise, if you get the interviewer to talk about their job and what they like about it, the interview will go well. You want to show you give a shit about the firm, and part of that is caring who you will meet so you can research their profile. If the firm declines to tell you, well then ok. But it is NEVER bad to ask.

Return to “Legal Employment”