Value of security clearance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

clearance/convenience trade off

clearance has little/no value
17%
clearance worth only 20 mintues/day in lost time
17%
clearance worth only 40 mintues/day in lost time
17%
clearance worth only 80 mintues/day in lost time
No votes
keep clearance active if at all possible
50%

Total votes: 6

Anonymous User

Value of security clearance

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 am

I am an non-trad (read: old) student who is considering a PT JD programs in the DC area.

One of the many matters I am trying to get sorted is what role would I like to work in during my years as a PT law student, a major factor in this decision is how much value would there be in keeping security clearances active. For my line of work, it does not seem to be much of a problem to find work that would keep the clearance in use and active, but it might mean having a longer commute between work/school/home in a schedule that is likely going to be stretched rather thin.

fatduck

Re: Value of security clearance

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 am

you can keep it inactive for 2 years before you need a full re-investigation, so just keep that in mind.

haus

Postby haus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 am

fatduck wrote:you can keep it inactive for 2 years before you need a full re-investigation, so just keep that in mind.

Assuming that you are within the time frame for re-investigation (7 years from last investigation for secret, 5 for TS if memory serves). Otherwise you will need a sponsor for the renewal of your investigation.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:24 am

haus wrote:
fatduck wrote:you can keep it inactive for 2 years before you need a full re-investigation, so just keep that in mind.

Assuming that you are within the time frame for re-investigation (7 years from last investigation for secret, 5 for TS if memory serves). Otherwise you will need a sponsor for the renewal of your investigation.

i think secret is 10, but yes, this would have to be true as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Anyone able comment on OP's question about the value of have either a secret or top-secret clearance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Depends on what OP wants to do after graduation.

haus

Postby haus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Not being a lawyer or for that matter even a law student at this time, I do not have much insight to how having a clearance would impact employment options directly in the legal field.

In the IT industry, it is a nice added feather, especially if you are interested (or at least willing) to work for contracting firms that support DoD/Civilian Government contracts, or would like to work directly for the government in areas that sensitive data may be part of the picture.

Given that the OP mentioned DC, I would state that clearance has a better chance of being a factor in the DC area then in other parts of the country given the proximity to Intelligence agencies, DoD and other bulk employers. I do not know how traditional law firms may interact with such matters, but I suspect that in-house lawyers for defense contractors and the like may find themselves in positions where having a clearance would be required. Although I do not know what level of interest such groups would have in students fresh out of law school.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 pm

maybe the OP could land a summer internship that would require a security clearance. that could help extend his grace period?

Return to “Legal Employment”