Need some advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need some advice

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:53 pm

I am a 1L at a mid-T2. Finished about 60th%. Definitely was a shocker. Nonetheless, I bid on an firm (approximately 30 attorneys) from my hometown that "preferred top 33%." It is also important to know that I am only competing against only two other 1L's from my school. I presumed that I received the interview because I noted in my cover letter that I wanted to practice in my hometown after graduation. I also stated that I don't believe my GPA is indicative, etc.

Here comes the interesting part. After I received the interview, I found out that I have a family friend who is the paralegal of my interviewer. I talked to her about being really wanting this position and she put in a great word for me. At this point, I feel like I have the job in the bag.

Today, I get an email from my interviewer saying he is really excited about our interview. However, I am getting the impression that he might have just noticed my hometown address from my resume and has not even read my cover letter. He wants me to email him my transcript with class rank.

I need advice. I don't want to lose this position solely because of my grades. What should I say to convince him not to focus so much on my rank.

This position pays very well and I really want it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Grizz

Re: Need some advice

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 pm

Send in the transcript, but you're not gonna be able to really cover this up. If you got an A in class, stress that or something, but if you try to say "these grades aren't indicative of my abilities," then you get about the same grader next semester, you will look dumber than you already do by saying that.

If grades come up, try to divert the conversation to something you're good at without being negative.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Also you do not by any means have this job in the bag.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:07 am

OP here:
Haha. I meant to say "At THAT point" because I was under the impression he was excited about our interview after I had told him my gpa/rank in the cover letter. But, like I said, I don't think he read it. I really don't think I would be writing this post if I thought I had this job in the bag.

Also, that is what I thought about the indicative statement as well. I think the only positive thing I can say about my first semester grades were that my LRW grade was in the top 15%.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:
Haha. I meant to say "At THAT point" because I was under the impression he was excited about our interview after I had told him my gpa/rank in the cover letter. But, like I said, I don't think he read it. I really don't think I would be writing this post if I thought I had this job in the bag.

Also, that is what I thought about the indicative statement as well. I think the only positive thing I can say about my first semester grades were that my LRW grade was in the top 15%.

Stress your LRW grade for all it's worth. Definitely worse classes to be top 15% in, as weird as that sounds. This shows that you know how to "do" law.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 am

Yea, you can never be certain about having the "bag" in this economy.

I agree with above, stress the good stuff in a sentence or two (LRW). But there is no way to sugar coat your transcript/rank. It is what it is. Hopefully you will still get the interview at least based on connections, at which if you rock it, who knows!!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:29 am

rad law wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

Stress your LRW grade for all it's worth. Definitely worse classes to be top 15% in, as weird as that sounds. This shows that you know how to "do" law.

TCR in almost any interview situation is not to mention grades. There is absoltuely nothing they can do to help you. Grades do not make you seem like a pleasant person to work with, and there's inherent sensitivity and awkwardness to discussing them. Sell yourself, don't sell your transcript.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:+1. OP shouldn't have mentioned that his/her grades "weren't indicative" in the cover letter, and shouldn't compound that mistake now by bringing the subject any further. Respond to any requests, but not more than that.

Amen. You sell your strengths, not your weaknesses. Fork over your transcript when they ask, but make the interview about why they should hire you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 am

OP here:

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely will not mention the grades in the interview unless asked and just sell myself. Also, good idea about preserving the connection for 2L OCI. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Legal Employment”