Interview Requests before OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview Requests before OCI

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 pm

So I mass-mailed a bunch of firms in search of 1L SAs (all NYC). A few have gotten back to me and said that while they aren't hiring 1Ls this year, they'd like me to interview over the summer. One firm described it as an informational interview, the others as just an interview.

I assume I should treat these like screeners? Or callbacks? Do I need to bid these firms?

Anybody that has had experience with this before please feel free to weigh in.

Renzo

Gold

Re: Interview Requests before OCI

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Take it as seriously as a callback, but don't expect an offer. If you blow it, they'll cross you off the list even if you get an OCI screener. But, if you don't, they'll probably just say, "thanks, and we hope to see you at OCI." It would be best to ask them if they want you to bid for an on-campus screener, or if they'll use another process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I mass-mailed a bunch of firms in search of 1L SAs (all NYC). A few have gotten back to me and said that while they aren't hiring 1Ls this year, they'd like me to interview over the summer. One firm described it as an informational interview, the others as just an interview.

I assume I should treat these like screeners? Or callbacks? Do I need to bid these firms?

Interviews, certainly not callbacks but probably above screeners depending on how your school does interview week. I would say not to bid if they have already extended an interview offer and who to contact to set it up, but make sure with your OCS that this is true there. I have several firms that set up interviews with me based on conversations and such and told me who to contact and to keep in touch during the summer to reaffirm my interest in the interview - I will not be bidding on them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I mass-mailed a bunch of firms in search of 1L SAs (all NYC). A few have gotten back to me and said that while they aren't hiring 1Ls this year, they'd like me to interview over the summer. One firm described it as an informational interview, the others as just an interview.

Interviews, certainly not callbacks but probably above screeners depending on how your school does interview week. I would say not to bid if they have already extended an interview offer and who to contact to set it up, but make sure with your OCS that this is true there. I have several firms that set up interviews with me based on conversations and such and told me who to contact and to keep in touch during the summer to reaffirm my interest in the interview - I will not be bidding on them.

Ok. I'm not expecting on-the-spot offers, although I do have very relevant work experience. At the very least, I'd like to try to save some bids where I can.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:12 pm

OCI is the exception, not the norm, in hiring. It happens because it's convenient for everyone to standardize the process. Screening interview + callback is only something that makes sense when a firm plans to screen hundreds. If you have a personalized interview offer, it's going to be like a callback interview - intense and potentially leading to an offer.

Now if they call it informational in all likelihood there's no job to be had just interview experience and research (both are EXTREMELY valuable and will serve you well) but there's not really anything "inbetween" a screening interview and callbacks, nor can an interview even logically "be" a "callback" if you aren't being called back from one interview for additional interviews. It's just a job interview, and it's legit, and I know many people who got jobs that way. You do not need to bid on those firms for OCI unless round 1 was very explicitly something like an 'informational' interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”