Firm or In-House?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which one?

V100 in Asia
40%
In-House
60%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

Firm or In-House?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 am

Both are in Asia and pay exactly the same. I'm a 1L - which one is "better" for 2L OCI?

1. Firm is V100, and I'll be at one of their largest Asia offices. HOWEVER, I won't be doing a lot of US legal work. They've already told me that I'll be doing lots of translation & local law

2. Corporation is public and very well-known in the US. They told me I'd be working on US contracts all the time. I wouldn't even have to use my language skills at all.

Malcolm8X

Re: Firm or In-House?

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 am

A firm is good training before going in-house. A general counsel for a fortune 500 told me fresh law students (I know you're a 1L) don't last too long w/the no tolerance corporate world. I'd try to get my foot in the door at the firm to try and snag a job after school.

BTW, doesn't the firm pay better?

Edit: for clarity

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am

I just wrote a huge post and then the computer ate it :(

My opinion, in short:
In-house, unless you would want to do 2L SA at the firm or want to end up there.

More relevant experience that you can speak to at 2L OCI, a prestigious name on your resume, a chance to narrow down your ideas of the work you want to do, and likely a much better working environment.

Out of curiosity, what industry does the corporation operate in (if you feel comfortable saying)? That could make a difference. My only in-house experience has been a hippy-dippy internet company, so I may be slightly biased :P
Last edited by piccolittle on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am

piccolittle wrote:I just wrote a huge post and then the computer ate it :(

My opinion, in short:
In-house, unless you would want to do 2L SA at the firm or want to end up there.

More relevant experience that you can speak to at 2L OCI, a prestigious name on your resume, a chance to narrow down your ideas of the work you want to do, and likely a much better working environment.

Out of curiosity, what industry does the corporation operate in (if you feel comfortable saying)?

This IS for his 2L summer.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:22 am

Malcolm8X wrote:

My opinion, in short:

Out of curiosity, what industry does the corporation operate in (if you feel comfortable saying)?

no it isnt.. according to OP

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 am

BlueDiamond wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:

My opinion, in short:

no it isnt.. according to OP

You're right! Law school jargon mixup. My mistake, with that said, I'd go with the in-house for what the above poster said. That's a good luck on the resume that many people don't have.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 am

Malcolm8X wrote:

My opinion, in short:

No, he's asking which one he should do for 1L summer according to which one will look better at 2L OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:29 am

Malcolm8X wrote:A firm is good training before going in-house. A general counsel for a fortune 500 told me fresh law students (I know you're a 1L) don't last too long w/the no tolerance corporate world. I'd try to get my foot in the door at the firm to try and snag a job after school.

Sadly, no. The firm pays market rate for this country, so it's pretty low. Also, they don't hire students fresh out of law school at this particular office. Maybe it would help with getting a position at one of their US offices though?

@piccolittle, the corporation does consumer electronics. They have really cool products, and a lot of my friends use their stuff. However, when I talk to older people (i.e. my career counselor), they have no idea what the company does. So I'm unsure as to whether the name would carry during 2L OCI. Do lawyers generally keep up with technology?

Thanks for the advice guys! Also, yeah. This is for my 1L summer.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:38 am

It won't matter for OCI. Take the job that interests you most.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 am

Go to where you get the most substantive work. The firm job sounds like they are hiring a translator, not a law student. I don't think this will help you get a job in the US branch of the firm - even if you do a great job, it will only give you a little bit of an in, because the US partners will not value the work you did as a 1L translating documents.

bigben

Postby bigben » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:48 am

V100 is probably better for the resume. In-house is only better if you want to try to go back there 2L summer and get a permanent offer (assuming this is even a possibility with that company).

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Malcolm8X wrote:A firm is good training before going in-house. A general counsel for a fortune 500 told me fresh law students (I know you're a 1L) don't last too long w/the no tolerance corporate world. I'd try to get my foot in the door at the firm to try and snag a job after school.

Sadly, no. The firm pays market rate for this country, so it's pretty low. Also, they don't hire students fresh out of law school at this particular office. Maybe it would help with getting a position at one of their US offices though?

@piccolittle, the corporation does consumer electronics. They have really cool products, and a lot of my friends use their stuff. However, when I talk to older people (i.e. my career counselor), they have no idea what the company does. So I'm unsure as to whether the name would carry during 2L OCI. Do lawyers generally keep up with technology?

Thanks for the advice guys! Also, yeah. This is for my 1L summer.

I hate to retract my statement but if it doesn't carry a big name like IBM or Exxon, I would go with the V100. Like you said, "they don't hire students fresh out of law school at this particular office" so I'd aim to get the foot in the door at the V100 and try to secure a job (which is of the utmost importance nowadays). If not, worst case scenario, you build up your experience.

BTW, I wouldn't relegate your role to a doc translator like someone above mentioned. Your foreign language is highly valued and is nothing but a plus that you can help a firm with foreign clients w/big bucks. I wish I got FLUENT in another language.

Return to “Legal Employment”