SEC Summer Honors v. v70 SA position (1L)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which do I chose?

SEC Summer Honors Program
35%
v70 Summer Associate
65%

Total votes: 43

Anonymous User

SEC Summer Honors v. v70 SA position (1L)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm

So, I'm hoping to get a job with a V3 through 2L OCI after this summer and was wondering which one would give me a better shot at it even though "1L summer doesn't matter."
Specifically, I'd like to do securities work @ S&C. Also, SEC is unpaid, v70 is market.

phonepro

Re: SEC Summer Honors v. v70 SA position (1L)

Postby phonepro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:42 pm

Personally, I think you are an idiot if you turn down the v70. Run with it!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:51 pm

If you want to do securities work, then the answer seems obvious.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:03 pm

After conversations with many partners and senior associates at firms, I was surprised to learn that most look down on 1L SA positions. They think someone who did a firm job "brings nothing to the table." SEC Honors is such an excellent program that I believe it will really help you find work during 2L OCI.

HOWEVER, if the firm is one that you would like to end up at post-graduation, not only will this help you, but turning it down could do serious damage.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Take the firm job, unless you are hell bent on working for the Fed Govt

This is from someone who had the (paid) SEC job last summer. This year SEC is not paying.

holeinone600

Postby holeinone600 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:16 pm

tag

legends159

Postby legends159 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 pm

fyi s&c only cares about grades. Maybe not only, but most likely 80%+ grades even if you go to a top school. With the other 19% if you're URM or ex-military or something unique that they can use to fill some diversity box.

Just throwing that out there b/c I doubt either position will help you land s&c (if that's your ultimate goal). Grades will get you s&c, not 1L summer position.

Oh yeah Wachtell and Cravath also care mainly about grades. Wachtell is more selective than the other two, so grades will be a prerequisite.
Last edited by legends159 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sayan

Postby sayan » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 pm

V70 for money, SEC for edge in OCI. Lot of people have the former, but SEC is very selective and firms know this. Plus it's unique work experience. I asked the hiring partner at Cravath about this dilemma, and he said if you're interested in securities regulation, SEC work will show that better than anything and make you a more convincing candidate.

Also note that if you're receiving grant aid from your law school, they will probably cut that aid for the next academic year by an amount that equals or nearly equals how much you receive at your 1L SA position.
Last edited by sayan on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 am

If you ultimately want to do securities, I can't imagine passing up the SEC for some generic law firm experience. That said, it takes a bigger man than me to say no to 30k over the summer...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:21 am

take the cash.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:26 am

sayan wrote:V70 for money, SEC for edge in OCI. Lot of people have the former, but SEC is very selective and firms know this. Plus it's unique work experience. I asked the hiring partner at Cravath about this dilemma, and he said if you're interested in securities regulation, SEC work will show that better than anything and make you a more convincing candidate.

Also note that if you're receiving grant aid from your law school, they will probably cut that aid for the next academic year by an amount that equals or nearly equals how much you receive at your 1L SA position.

Very credited advice. Thanks.

Money isn't really an issue for me, I'm going to LS for free and had some $$ saved up from working between UG and LS.

Also, thanks to everyone ITT for their input. I'll be taking my talents to the north shore of the Potomac this summer and doing the SEC.

I weighed everything and decided that since the SEC is super underfunded and implementing Dodd-Frank mandates right now it should be some interesting and substantive work that should be better than what I'd be doing at the firm to help my pitch to work in a firm's securities practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sayan wrote:V70 for money, SEC for edge in OCI. Lot of people have the former, but SEC is very selective and firms know this. Plus it's unique work experience. I asked the hiring partner at Cravath about this dilemma, and he said if you're interested in securities regulation, SEC work will show that better than anything and make you a more convincing candidate.

Very credited advice. Thanks.

Money isn't really an issue for me, I'm going to LS for free and had some $$ saved up from working between UG and LS.

Also, thanks to everyone ITT for their input. I'll be taking my talents to the north shore of the Potomac this summer and doing the SEC.

I weighed everything and decided that since the SEC is super underfunded and implementing Dodd-Frank mandates right now it should be some interesting and substantive work that should be better than what I'd be doing at the firm to help my pitch to work in a firm's securities practice.

Which division, if you don't mind me asking? I'll be there as well, in Enforcement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which division, if you don't mind me asking? I'll be there as well, in Enforcement.

Also enforcement. Should be good times. Haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which division, if you don't mind me asking? I'll be there as well, in Enforcement.

Seems like everyone is in Enforcement. Haven't talked to anyone interning at any other Division :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seems like everyone is in Enforcement. Haven't talked to anyone interning at any other Division :|

If I was the head of the SEC, I would just hire every single applicant for the summer program to make up for the budget shortfalls with slave labor.

Return to “Legal Employment”