Splitting Summers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
maf70

Bronze

Splitting Summers

Post by maf70 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I have a bunch of interviews over the next few weeks for 1L summer positions with small firms and a couple of judges. One judge (federal) asked if I wanted to split summer and I said I wasn't sure but would be willing to do a full summer with the judge.

Assuming I get a judicial internship and a small firm law clerk offer how do I approach asking to split the summer? Or should I just work for the federal judge for the whole summer and forget about the small firm? Would one look better on my resume?

Thanks.

abudaba

New

Re: Splitting Summers

Post by abudaba » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:09 pm

bump - also curious about this.

While I'm sure it varies from firm to firm, I'm curious how open smaller firms are to a split in general.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:39 pm

also, is working for a federal magistrate seen the same as working for a federal district judge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:44 pm

maf70 wrote:also, is working for a federal magistrate seen the same as working for a federal district judge?
no

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
maf70 wrote:also, is working for a federal magistrate seen the same as working for a federal district judge?
no
where does it fit on the spectrum of judicial internships then? about the same, slightly above state court of appeals?

also, any insight about splitting summers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 pm

bump.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: judicial internship - it's a 1L summer internship so it doesn't matter so long as you gain something from it. A federal magistrate could, potentially, be very interesting for a 1L summer.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:07 am

vamedic03 wrote:Re: judicial internship - it's a 1L summer internship so it doesn't matter so long as you gain something from it. A federal magistrate could, potentially, be very interesting for a 1L summer.
Thanks. I thought a federal magistrate might make for an interesting 1L summer. Like I said, the judge was open to splitting. How do you go about asking others? Do you interview and ask afterwards? Before?

Im new to this and couldnt find much helpful info on splitting summers. I dont know how common it is. The career services at my school had never even heard of it.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 am

No one really cares what you did 1L summer, although it helps to have done something legal. So magistrate judge = district judge if all you are looking at is OCI impact.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”