biglaw internship abroad summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby glitched » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 pm

does anyone know if this is possible? if so, how hard is it to get and is it even a good idea for biglaw prospects? thanks.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm

glitched wrote:does anyone know if this is possible? if so, how hard is it to get and is it even a good idea for biglaw prospects? thanks.


Only if you specialize in Space Law. They like having international flavor in their associates.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby glitched » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
glitched wrote:does anyone know if this is possible? if so, how hard is it to get and is it even a good idea for biglaw prospects? thanks.


Only if you specialize in Space Law. They like having international flavor in their associates.


Well... to what extent do you define space law? I'm only interested in domains within the third nebulon galaxy...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm

glitched wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
glitched wrote:does anyone know if this is possible? if so, how hard is it to get and is it even a good idea for biglaw prospects? thanks.


Only if you specialize in Space Law. They like having international flavor in their associates.


Well... to what extent do you define space law? I'm only interested in domains within the third nebulon galaxy...


Not very realistic. Just clerk for SCOTUS brah.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby glitched » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
glitched wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
glitched wrote:does anyone know if this is possible? if so, how hard is it to get and is it even a good idea for biglaw prospects? thanks.


Only if you specialize in Space Law. They like having international flavor in their associates.


Well... to what extent do you define space law? I'm only interested in domains within the third nebulon galaxy...


Not very realistic. Just clerk for SCOTUS brah.


if by that, you mean Supreme Court of the UniverSe. even then, i'm too good looking and tall for it. would be a waste of my talents.


lol no but seriously big law abroad is out of the question then? cause i would like to study abroad but it seems like it might screw over job prospects if i don't do any legal work in the summer. anyone study abroad during the school year and is THAT a good idea ever?

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby Sentry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 pm

If you have an offer after your 2L summer, then by all means study abroad your 3L year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm doing big law abroad this summer, so it's certainly doable. I don't know how good it is for future prospects, but it's with a very reputable firm (V50) and while I don't get paid the same amount SAs do in its US offices, I'm getting paid enough to live on.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby glitched » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing big law abroad this summer, so it's certainly doable. I don't know how good it is for future prospects, but it's with a very reputable firm (V50) and while I don't get paid the same amount SAs do in its US offices, I'm getting paid enough to live on.


are you a 1L, 2L, or 3L and was it really competitive?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:12 pm

glitched wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing big law abroad this summer, so it's certainly doable. I don't know how good it is for future prospects, but it's with a very reputable firm (V50) and while I don't get paid the same amount SAs do in its US offices, I'm getting paid enough to live on.


are you a 1L, 2L, or 3L and was it really competitive?


I'm a 1L at T14. They told me they got 40 applications, and then called back 3 for 1 position. I got lucky.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby glitched » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
glitched wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing big law abroad this summer, so it's certainly doable. I don't know how good it is for future prospects, but it's with a very reputable firm (V50) and while I don't get paid the same amount SAs do in its US offices, I'm getting paid enough to live on.


are you a 1L, 2L, or 3L and was it really competitive?


I'm a 1L at T14. They told me they got 40 applications, and then called back 3 for 1 position. I got lucky.


lucky? does that mean you were at/below median? haha sorry to pry. i'm just curious now. also are you fluent in the language for the country that the said position is located?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: biglaw internship abroad summer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:38 pm

glitched wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
glitched wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing big law abroad this summer, so it's certainly doable. I don't know how good it is for future prospects, but it's with a very reputable firm (V50) and while I don't get paid the same amount SAs do in its US offices, I'm getting paid enough to live on.


are you a 1L, 2L, or 3L and was it really competitive?


I'm a 1L at T14. They told me they got 40 applications, and then called back 3 for 1 position. I got lucky.


lucky? does that mean you were at/below median? haha sorry to pry. i'm just curious now. also are you fluent in the language for the country that the said position is located?



Yeah, I am around median. I say lucky, because I know there were applicants who go to better schools + have better grades (they told me). Yes, I'm fluent in the language. They told me that they basically chose me because they thought my resume was interesting. I've done some work before in the country and I have some family ties to the region. I think it really came down to that.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.