Payscale for Fortune 500 in-house 1L internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Payscale for Fortune 500 in-house 1L internship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:42 am

Hey all, does anyone know what the payscale is for a Fortune 500 1L in-house legal position? The company's in house legal is 150+, will be working in transactional/litigation group.

If they let me name my own salary, would pushing 2k a week be wise? A midlaw option I have pays 1850 a week.

Anonymous User

Re: Payscale for Fortune 500 in-house 1L internship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, does anyone know what the payscale is for a Fortune 500 1L in-house legal position? The company's in house legal is 150+, will be working in transactional/litigation group.

If they let me name my own salary, would pushing 2k a week be wise? A midlaw option I have pays 1850 a week.
I was offered, and turned down, a 1k/week position that sounds very similar to what you'd be doing for the F500.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, does anyone know what the payscale is for a Fortune 500 1L in-house legal position? The company's in house legal is 150+, will be working in transactional/litigation group.

Yes, you should ask for more than what you have already been offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:04 pm

I made about 1700/wk as an in-house last summer. It was located in a smaller city though.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Any update on what the offer was?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 pm

Mine is about $1400/week at a medium size midwest city . A friend of mine got a $1800 one with free apt/car.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:29 pm

So how does one go about getting 1L in-house internships? Do those generally translate into 2L in house gigs and then a job offer at graduation? I would really love to work in-house for a corp, but I have no clue how to end up there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:43 pm

I applied on my law school internship database for a couple of corporate 1L summer jobs, I am a CPA so they both responded asking to fill out a long corporate application, waiting on the response at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Do these sorts of things normally lead to a 2L position and an offer after, or is it completely independent?

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:06 pm

clone22 wrote:Do these sorts of things normally lead to a 2L position and an offer after, or is it completely independent?
It`s possible.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I applied on my law school internship database for a couple of corporate 1L summer jobs, I am a CPA so they both responded asking to fill out a long corporate application, waiting on the response at this point.
Connections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 pm

we will see...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm

clone22 wrote:So how does one go about getting 1L in-house internships? Do those generally translate into 2L in house gigs and then a job offer at graduation? I would really love to work in-house for a corp, but I have no clue how to end up there.
I meant to quote this one. Connections.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 pm

clone22 wrote:Do those generally translate into 2L in house gigs and then a job offer at graduation?
No. I believe law firms are typically the only place you can expect to possibly get a permanent offer after your 2nd summer. It's possible that the same company will hire you after graduation, but it's not something you can expect by default (i.e. it's not like with firms were it is typical for them to hire most of the people in their summer class). Ideally, you want to work at a law firm your 2nd summer (because it gives you the opportunity to get a post-grad job offer at the end of the summer), assuming, of course, you want to go into private practice.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
clone22 wrote:Do those generally translate into 2L in house gigs and then a job offer at graduation?
No. I believe law firms are typically the only place you can expect to possibly get a permanent offer after your 2nd summer. It's possible that the same company will hire you after graduation, but it's not something you can expect by default (i.e. it's not like with firms were it is typical for them to hire most of the people in their summer class). Ideally, you want to work at a law firm your 2nd summer (because it gives you the opportunity to get a post-grad job offer at the end of the summer), assuming, of course, you want to go into private practice.
WRONG!

I can name over 10 companies activiely hiring entry level attornies from their summer class.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 pm

baboon309 wrote:
WRONG!

I can name over 10 companies activiely hiring entry level attornies from their summer class.
please do name them

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:59 pm

baboon309 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
WRONG!

And how many companies in the US are there in total?

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
WRONG!

And how many companies in the US are there in total?

Sorry, I meant Fortune 500 companies.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 am

clone22 wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
WRONG!

please do name them
This

EDIT- Also not sure if your posts implies that most fortune 500 companies hire entry level attorneys from their summer class (i.e. that it's so common that you can name 10 companies off the top of your head that do it), or whether 10 out of the 500 fortune companies actively hire entry level attorneys from their summer class... I'm pretty sure that most companies do not actively hire entry level attorneys from their summer classes.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:09 am

The sad truth for most graduates looking to land in-house positions is that corporations rarely hire
attorneys directly from law school. Those individuals who are able to transition straight from law
school into the corporate legal world, however, will likely be promoted at a slower rate than those
who transfer from a law firm. While a handful of corporations may consider hiring law students,
most will only consider candidates with three to four years of experience working at a law firm.
Most in-house counsel are lateral transfers from private law firms. Counsel often learn of openings in
corporations through their interaction with that company. The intimate knowledge of the
corporation’s legal and business issues gained from the outside counsel perspective allows for a
smooth transition into to an in-house counsel position.
http://www.mortgagebankers.org/files/Co ... ounsel.pdf

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 am

clone22 wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
WRONG!

please do name them
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”