Undergrad academia Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
notanumber

Bronze

Re: Undergrad academia

Post by notanumber » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:32 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Folks, the academic hiring market is 1,000 times worse than the legal hiring market.
This.

In my entire field last year there were two jobs that turned into real tenure-line positions. Two. In the world. And AFIK at least one of them went to an inside candidate.

Granted, last year was really bad and things are softening up (I think there were something like 5 or 6 jobs this year - didn't pay much attention because I'm going to law school). But if you're thinking of getting a job in a non-professional department without a Ph.D. then forget about it - there are enough people with advanced degrees from top schools and very strong publication records who are desperate to take those jobs that somebody with a J.D. doesn't stand a chance.

STEM fields might be a different ballgame, I don't really know, but why would they hire somebody with a J.D.?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”