How do I go about contacting small firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do I go about contacting small firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm

desperate 1L here looking for some advice...

A good majority of the small firms do not have a careers pages on their websites. So, would it be appropriate to email a parter about the possibility of employment or call the firm directly?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Re: How do I go about contacting small firms?

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:desperate 1L here looking for some advice...

A good majority of the small firms do not have a careers pages on their websites. So, would it be appropriate to email a parter about the possibility of employment or call the firm directly?
Email, letter, and call are all appropriate for the most part. Just do whichever you are most comfortable with. I only emailed or called (depending on whether I could find an email address to particular partners). Smaller firms seem to like the formality of letters addressed to the partners, but I don't see anything wrong with email either. I had success doing both.

OGR3

Silver

Re: How do I go about contacting small firms?

Post by OGR3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:desperate 1L here looking for some advice...

Email, letter, and call are all appropriate for the most part. Just do whichever you are most comfortable with. I only emailed or called (depending on whether I could find an email address to particular partners). Smaller firms seem to like the formality of letters addressed to the partners, but I don't see anything wrong with email either. I had success doing both.
Your school's alumni office can also be extremely helpful. I'd suggest talking with someone there who would be willing to help facilitate an introduction or informational interview. They're often happy to help you network because employed and happy graduates are much more likely to donate money...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”