How important is a 1L Summer Internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Retiarius

How important is a 1L Summer Internship?

Postby Retiarius » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:36 pm

I didn't even think about getting a summer internship until now, and now there seems to be nothing nearby for me to apply to. I currently have another job, unrelated to law, but heavy on writing, which I'm planning to keep through the summer.

How badly will my future employment prospects suffer if I don't take a 1L summer internship related to law? I'm top 10% at a tier 2 school, if that matters.

Lawl Shcool

Re: How important is a 1L Summer Internship?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Think deeply about your question. I assume you have that ability since you are in the top 10% at your school.

Assume your an professional sports team, would you draft someone who right before the draft announced to everyone that he had been training for a different sport for the last 3 months?

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Dude it's very important especially for OCI, get something related to law the quality of the job doesn't usually matter too much unless u can get a firm job which would be a plus

Nicholas Nickleby

Postby Nicholas Nickleby » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Find a local legal service to volunteer at for 5-10 hours/week.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:16 pm

I was already to come in here telling you to go for the job you liked even if it wasn't prestigious, but then I read you post and realised you are talking about a job that has nothing to do with the law. BAD idea. That really is the only rule: whatever you do it had better be related to the law.

elenatokyo

Postby elenatokyo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:13 pm

You will have a hellish time during your 2L interviews trying to prove that you do want to do law. Virtually impossible if you don't have a law related intership during your 1L summer. Anything can be spun in every possible way except a non-law 1L summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”