NYU's NLJ 250 placement Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
twistedwrister

Bronze

NYU's NLJ 250 placement

Post by twistedwrister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 am

In another thread, there's a lot of chatter regarding NYU's low placement in NLJ 250 firms this year. Here's a few things to keep in mind.

(1) As I mentioned in the other thread, NYU's c/o 2010 clerkship numbers were way up. 5-10% more of the class (25-50 more students) got clerkships than in previous years (I have the exact numbers, but they are not public, so I can't share them here). This accounts for some, if not all, of the NLJ 250 drop from 2009.

(2) Lots of NYU students chose Latham before the bust (see http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443757861), and we all know what happened there re no-offers, rescinded offers, etc.

(3) To the person in the other thread who claimed that NYU's PI focus wasn't significantly larger than Chicago's and Columbia's, that's simply incorrect. According to the ABA's data:

Columbia: 12 students (3%) in PI
Chicago: ONE student (0.5%) in PI
NYU: 42 students (9.2%) in PI

I'm not denying the possibility that C+C place better in non-NYC firms than NYU does. I just don't know, but it's certainly possible. Most of the people I know just targeted NYC.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: NYU's NLJ 250 placement

Post by thesealocust » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am

twistedwrister wrote:In another thread, there's a lot of chatter regarding NYU's low placement in NLJ 250 firms this year. Here's a few things to keep in mind.

(1) As I mentioned in the other thread, NYU's c/o 2010 clerkship numbers were way up. 5-10% more of the class (25-50 more students) got clerkships than in previous years (I have the exact numbers, but they are not public, so I can't share them here). This accounts for some, if not all, of the NLJ 250 drop from 2009.

(2) Lots of NYU students chose Latham before the bust (see http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443757861), and we all know what happened there re no-offers, rescinded offers, etc.

(3) To the person in the other thread who claimed that NYU's PI focus wasn't significantly larger than Chicago's and Columbia's, that's simply incorrect. According to the ABA's data:

Columbia: 12 students (3%) in PI
Chicago: ONE student (0.5%) in PI
NYU: 42 students (9.2%) in PI

I'm not denying the possibility that C+C place better in non-NYC firms than NYU does. I just don't know, but it's certainly possible. Most of the people I know just targeted NYC.
None of these are unique to NYU ITE.

Grads from Chicago, Columbia, and Cornell all targeted NYC firms, all faced tougher job markets / no offers FORCING them to look for PI jobs and/or clerkships.

The only thing you could claim as being unique to NYU would be students interested in PI before getting to law school. And yet somehow they still hung with the big guys in prior years, implying that whatever larger percentage of the class had PI interest wasn't screwing up the numbers.

I have no idea why NYU dropped and I'd imagine it's just a blip, but none of your explanations make sense when you see Columbia, Cornell, and Chicago putting up bigger numbers.

Magnificent

Bronze

Post by Magnificent » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:39 am

also the assumption that there are just as many PI jobs available as there was before is unfounded

in fact it is more likely that the percentage of students going to PI decreased just like everything other job in the economy

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm sorry if my original post was unclear. I was implying that NYU improved it's clerkship placement relative to CC. Of course, it's just an educated guess on my part based on NYU's numbers. I don't have CC's 2010 clerkship numbers, but I would be surprised if they jumped-up as much as NYU's. NYU's increased clerkship placement isn't due to students missing out on biglaw and then "settling" for a clerkship -- in general, these are good students who DID get biglaw but opted to clerk instead.

I agree with the above posts re PI. I'm sure PI placement is up at most schools, including NYU, because there are fewer big money jobs to go around. I just made the CCN PI comparison to rebut the assertion that N isn't significantly more PI focused than CC.

Everyone's jumping on NYU, and I'm trying to provide some context for the data. It's interesting that no one seems to be trashing Stanford, even though it's NLJ 250 placement fell by much more than NYU's did. Stanford's drop may, or may not, be due to more clerks, but I KNOW that 5-10% of NYU's drop is due to better clerkship placement.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:45 pm

I hope you're right, twisted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 pm

thecilent wrote:I hope you're right, twisted.
Me too. I'm certainly right about the improved clerkship stats. I've seen and crunched that data myself.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Why don't you compile a list with clerkship numbers + biglaw placement, then?

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:48 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Why don't you compile a list with clerkship numbers + biglaw placement, then?
I'd love to, but like I mentioned, I don't have c/o 2010 clerkship stats from schools other than NYU.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Insecurity is running rampant in Greenwich Village and Durham these days.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twistedwrister

Bronze

Post by twistedwrister » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:47 pm

showNprove wrote:Insecurity is running rampant in Greenwich Village and Durham these days.
I'm a 3L with a CoA clerkship and a firm job lined up, so I'm pretty secure. Can't speak for others, though.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:49 pm

showNprove wrote:Insecurity is running rampant in Greenwich Village and Durham these days.
Yes. This.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am

Twisted: Do you know when nyu loans come in for students? Is like 10 days before classes start, the first day of classes, or later??

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Tis the season for hypertrolling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”