IP Candidate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Boilers9

IP Candidate

Postby Boilers9 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:01 am

Hi All,

I am to be a 1L this upcoming fall but not 100% certain on where I am going to go yet. I have a B.S. in Neurobiology and looking to go into patent law. I have read many posts on this website stating that it would be VERY tough for someone with just a B.S. in Neurobiology to get into patent prosecution and will take that as fact. I wanted to know whether it makes a candidate more appealing if he/she has passed the patent bar and went into litigation although the bar is not required at all to do patent litigation. I'm just trying to figure out what my employment prospects will be after graduation. Would an LLM in Intellectual Property would help my cause?

Thanks for your help!

truevines

Re: IP Candidate

Postby truevines » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:43 am

Boilers9 wrote:Hi All,

I am to be a 1L this upcoming fall but not 100% certain on where I am going to go yet. I have a B.S. in Neurobiology and looking to go into patent law. I have read many posts on this website stating that it would be VERY tough for someone with just a B.S. in Neurobiology to get into patent prosecution and will take that as fact. I wanted to know whether it makes a candidate more appealing if he/she has passed the patent bar and went into litigation although the bar is not required at all to do patent litigation. I'm just trying to figure out what my employment prospects will be after graduation. Would an LLM in Intellectual Property would help my cause?

Thanks for your help!

What do you want to do, patent prosecution or litigation?

For litigation, a B.S. in life science is prolly enough. Good grades, book awards, and great writing skills are more helpful. Patent bar probably won't help since it tests your knowledge of how to deal with USPTO.

For life science patent prosecution, a Ph. D. is nearly a prerequisite. I don't see anything could compensate the lack of advanced degrees in this practice area.

LLM in IP is simply a market hype for law schools to squeeze money off foreign lawyers. You know it, I know it, firms know it, and clients know it.

Return to “Legal Employment”