RA or hope otherwise

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

RA or hope otherwise

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

1L at MVP and I have been informally offered an RA position with a professor who is doing research in corporate law which is what I am interested in. However, I am also still holding out hope for in-house counsel (2 jobs which I have been told will be conducting interviews in a few weeks for and the employers have shown strong interest in me).

I'm scared that by holding out, the RA position would go elsewhere and I am scared of being an RA for a professor in a field that I have no interest in. I would be more happy RA'ing, but I am also scared it would hurt me a bit during fall recruiting.

I am above median (top quarter) and have w/e before law school if that is significant.

Advice?

Moxie

Re: RA or hope otherwise

Postby Moxie » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at MVP and I have been informally offered an RA position with a professor who is doing research in corporate law which is what I am interested in. However, I am also still holding out hope for in-house counsel (2 jobs which I have been told will be conducting interviews in a few weeks for and the employers have shown strong interest in me).

I'm scared that by holding out, the RA position would go elsewhere and I am scared of being an RA for a professor in a field that I have no interest in. I would be more happy RA'ing, but I am also scared it would hurt me a bit during fall recruiting.

I am above median (top quarter) and have w/e before law school if that is significant.

Advice?

huh?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:45 pm

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I meant that I am scared that by not immediately accepting this RA position, it would be given to someone else and I would be stuck RA'ing for some other professor in a field that I am not interested in.

npe

Postby npe » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:03 pm

1. Thank your professor for the offer and ask when s/he needs to hear back.
2. Inform your other prospects of this deadline.
3. [I think you get the idea]
4. PROFIT

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I meant that I am scared that by not immediately accepting this RA position, it would be given to someone else and I would be stuck RA'ing for some other professor in a field that I am not interested in.

Talk to the prof and explain your situation.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:07 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Talk to the prof and explain your situation.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks, that was my original thought too. I just am hesitant that explaining the situation would make my professor feel as if he is the second or backup option. I'm also relatively risk-averse and while there seems to be disagreement on TLS about it, I am not sure there is a material difference come OCI between RA'ing with a professor in your future legal field and in-house or even a firm job.

Efly

Postby Efly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:19 pm

npe wrote:1. Thank your professor for the offer and ask when s/he needs to hear back.
2. Inform your other prospects of this deadline.
3. [I think you get the idea]
4. PROFIT

Clear and wise!

Stats

Postby Stats » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:57 pm

It's getting a little late, so I'd probably take the RA position if you're at least somewhat interested in the area of research. For OCI, what matters is simply that you have something legal to discuss. As long as you get at least one thorny issue to work on, you're fine. There's no stigma--lots of students who are gunning for clerkships RA during their first summer in order to secure a decent recommendation.

Return to “Legal Employment”