Arrest and summer job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Arrest and summer job

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:54 pm

I have a summer job for a large city prosecutor and a start date. The contract is in the mail, pending my background check goes fine. However, the background check asks if I have ever been arrested. Of course I answered honestly and told them that I have been arrested but the charges were dropped.

Will simply being arrested eff me over and cause me to lose this job? Or do I have nothing to worry about since nothing came of the arrest?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Tofu

Re: Arrest and summer job

Postby Master Tofu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Just tell the truth. Lying is the wrong way to start off in this profession.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:58 pm

Master Tofu wrote:Just tell the truth. Lying is the wrong way to start off in this profession.

I did tell the truth. I am now asking if I will lose my summer work because of this.

flcath

Postby flcath » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a summer job for a large city prosecutor and a start date. The contract is in the mail, pending my background check goes fine. However, the background check asks if I have ever been arrested. Of course I answered honestly and told them that I have been arrested but the charges were dropped.

Will simply being arrested eff me over and cause me to lose this job? Or do I have nothing to worry about since nothing came of the arrest?

It depends on (1) what the charge was, (2) how long ago it was, and (3) your other credentials.

In any case, it is certainly worth disclosing, with the caveat that you can usually omit this information if you had the record of the arrest expunged (unlike on LS apps).

Master Tofu

Postby Master Tofu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Yeah, it seems like a pretty unlikely scenario.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:03 pm

flcath wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a summer job for a large city prosecutor and a start date. The contract is in the mail, pending my background check goes fine. However, the background check asks if I have ever been arrested. Of course I answered honestly and told them that I have been arrested but the charges were dropped.

It depends on (1) what the charge was, (2) how long ago it was, and (3) your other credentials.

In any case, it is certainly worth disclosing, with the caveat that you can usually omit this information if you had the record of the arrest expunged (unlike on LS apps).

Criminal mischief misdemeanor I believe. Very minor and a first offense. It occurred in May, 2010. Other credentials are obviously ok since I was hired right away.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 am

My father had two prior arrests and was hired as an ADA straight out of law school. Of course, probably a different state, and this was the early 90s but I, personally, wouldn't worry too much for summer employment

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
flcath wrote:

Criminal mischief misdemeanor I believe. Very minor and a first offense. It occurred in May, 2010. Other credentials are obviously ok since I was hired right away.

You'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”