Professional etiquette question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Inappropriate?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 21

General Tso

Professional etiquette question

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm

I have an interview next week at a firm I really like. My supervising attorney from last summer loved my work, and told me numerous times that she would do anything to help me in the future. Would it be inappropriate if I called her and asked her to write a quick email to the person I will interview with at the new firm?

A'nold

Re: Professional etiquette question

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:26 pm

General Tso wrote:I have an interview next week at a firm I really like. My supervising attorney from last summer loved my work, and told me numerous times that she would do anything to help me in the future. Would it be inappropriate if I called her and asked her to write a quick email to the person I will interview with at the new firm?

Hmmm.....maybe ask them to write a letter of req.? I think I might do this too, as I have some upcoming interviews. The firm already told me they'd give me a good reference.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 pm

yeah that was what I was thinking. do you think it would be better if I just asked her to write something and send it to me and then I can print it and take to my interview? maybe that would be less intrusive than having her email the attorney directly.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:40 pm

General Tso wrote:yeah that was what I was thinking. do you think it would be better if I just asked her to write something and send it to me and then I can print it and take to my interview? maybe that would be less intrusive than having her email the attorney directly.

Yeah I think I am going to go this route. Thanks for the great idea. This completely slipped my mind, actually.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:09 am

General Tso wrote:yeah that was what I was thinking. do you think it would be better if I just asked her to write something and send it to me and then I can print it and take to my interview? maybe that would be less intrusive than having her email the attorney directly.

Email and tell her who you are interviewing with and if she has any pointers for you. If she really likes you that much, she will talk to your interviewer.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 am

crazycanuck wrote:

Email and tell her who you are interviewing with and if she has any pointers for you. If she really likes you that much, she will talk to your interviewer.

this

asking for a LOR in this context is weird imo. plus if she likes you she will get the rather thick hint

Return to “Legal Employment”