Working and living in Washington DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Re: Working and living in Washington DC

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm

the real advantage of ikea furniture is in moving - it's effectively weightless

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Also, dood et al, are you going furnished or unfurnished? A friend of mine is swearing that unfurnished is cheaper in the long run (rent savings) and is getting all her crap from IKEA. Dunno what everyone else's experience is-I've thus far only done/considered furnished.

i'm going with unfurnished because i already have a ton of shit.

from ikea.

you gonna be in DC fatduck?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
fatduck wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Also, dood et al, are you going furnished or unfurnished? A friend of mine is swearing that unfurnished is cheaper in the long run (rent savings) and is getting all her crap from IKEA. Dunno what everyone else's experience is-I've thus far only done/considered furnished.

from ikea.

no fucking clue o_o

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

fatduck wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
fatduck wrote:

from ikea.

no fucking clue o_o

Yeah...it's rough to have to wait so late. Housing is being snatched up left and right. Most of the good stuff here has been signed since November.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:58 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Yeah...it's rough to have to wait so late. Housing is being snatched up left and right. Most of the good stuff here has been signed since November.

I'm not sure why you think that. The housing market for the 2011-12 school year generally heats up around May, but it is still easily possible to get an apartment with a lease beginning in August as late as July 15th, and because many buildings are rent-controlled, the price doesn't change all that much (though you may not get first month free or no security deposit deals). Many rising 2Ls that live in 1L buildings owned by Gtown or GW don't begin looking until after finals (so around May), and lots of buildings only know their new vacancies 30-days in advance anyway (mainly because DC housing laws require month-to-month leases after the first year, unless waived by the tenant).

If you are talking about for summer sublets, it is getting late, but you can find something decent for at least another 3-4 weeks or so.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Yeah...it's rough to have to wait so late. Housing is being snatched up left and right. Most of the good stuff here has been signed since November.

I'm not sure why you think that. The housing market for the 2011-12 school year generally heats up around May, but it is still easily possible to get an apartment with a lease beginning in August as late as July 15th, and because many buildings are rent-controlled, the price doesn't change all that much (though you may not get first month free or no security deposit deals). Many rising 2Ls that live in 1L buildings owned by Gtown or GW don't begin looking until after finals (so around May), and lots of buildings only know their new vacancies 30-days in advance anyway (mainly because DC housing laws require month-to-month leases after the first year, unless waived by the tenant).

If you are talking about for summer sublets, it is getting late, but you can find something decent for at least another 3-4 weeks or so.

I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but I don't currently live in DC. I just mean most of the best housing has been taken around here. I'd bet a kidney I could look in the newspaper tomorrow and call a handful of building managers and sign a lease the same day (and get a decent place close enough to campus-there's a place across the street from me), but I wouldn't have the pick of the litter.

Although it is my mistake in assuming that DC housing works the same exact way, my bad. If I wanted a summer sublet I could get a really good place for probably lower than market, and for next semester I could get an awesome place (here) from someone going abroad, I'd just have to move over winter break. Point is I'd just like to know where I'll end up so I can get to know the market.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo

Kaitlyn

Postby Kaitlyn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”