2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:15 am

missinglink wrote:21 pages. Epic thread. :shock:

Could someone could summarize the last 20 pages or so in a line or two?

If I had to guess, it was a lot of arguing over the relative merits of each school, even if the separation isn't that great at the top of the list, and the usefulness of the data as a reliable indicator is perhaps suspect.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=148674&start=475#p4103687

this poster summed everything up quite nicely imo

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

fatduck wrote:I'll take the relative silence as a sign that I've blown everyone's minds.


@Marionberry: tell georgetown i'm too awesome to reject plz :D


You mean GeorgeTTTown?

Great post...TLS taught me to go to a school with no Ts in it...a T is just two TTs away from a TTT

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:28 am

jtemp320 wrote:
fatduck wrote:I'll take the relative silence as a sign that I've blown everyone's minds.


@Marionberry: tell georgetown i'm too awesome to reject plz :D


You mean GeorgeTTTown?

Great post...TLS taught me to go to a school with no Ts in it...a T is just two TTs away from a TTT


What, so you're just gonna call it a day and head to Columbia UniversiTTTy? That's cool, I guess. I mean, it's not Harvard, but I guess it's all right.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 am

beachbum wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
fatduck wrote:I'll take the relative silence as a sign that I've blown everyone's minds.


@Marionberry: tell georgetown i'm too awesome to reject plz :D


You mean GeorgeTTTown?

Great post...TLS taught me to go to a school with no Ts in it...a T is just two TTs away from a TTT


What, so you're just gonna call it a day and head to Columbia UniversiTTTy? That's cool, I guess. I mean, it's not Harvard, but I guess it's all right.

It's funny you should mention this, as it's something I came across in my research. You see, I originally thought that the presence of a 'T' shouldn't matter, as almost every school has the word "university" in its name. However, Columbia is referred to on TLS as merely Columbia, not Columbia U or CU, whereas NYU's shorthand form does include the University, abbreviated. This is why NYU suffers from the "TTT effecTTT" and schools like Columbia and Cornell do not.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:34 am

fatduck wrote:
beachbum wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
fatduck wrote:I'll take the relative silence as a sign that I've blown everyone's minds.


@Marionberry: tell georgetown i'm too awesome to reject plz :D


You mean GeorgeTTTown?

Great post...TLS taught me to go to a school with no Ts in it...a T is just two TTs away from a TTT


What, so you're just gonna call it a day and head to Columbia UniversiTTTy? That's cool, I guess. I mean, it's not Harvard, but I guess it's all right.

It's funny you should mention this, as it's something I came across in my research. You see, I originally thought that the presence of a 'T' shouldn't matter, as almost every school has the word "university" in its name. However, Columbia is referred to on TLS as merely Columbia, not Columbia U or CU, whereas NYU's shorthand form does include the University, abbreviated. This is why NYU suffers from the "TTT effecTTT" and schools like Columbia and Cornell do not.


Seems reasonable, but explain Duke.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 am

beachbum wrote:Seems reasonable, but explain Duke.

The SouTTTh. This is why the north refers to itself as New England.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby powerlawyer06 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:41 am

fatduck wrote:
beachbum wrote:Seems reasonable, but explain Duke.

The SouTTTh. This is why the north refers to itself as New England.


Oh my God Fatduck! I think you just unlocked the secret to the whole economy.

That’s why Lehman BroTTThers, Bear STTTearns, and WashingTTTon MuTTTual all failed while Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America remain.

But wait we live in the UniTTTed STTTates……

::::Runs to warn Obama::::

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:42 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
beachbum wrote:Seems reasonable, but explain Duke.

The SouTTTh. This is why the north refers to itself as New England.


Oh my God Fatduck! I think you just unlocked the secret to the whole economy.

That’s why Lehman BroTTThers, Bear STTTearns, and WashingTTTon MuTTTual all failed while Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America remain.

But wait we live in the UniTTTed STTTates……

::::Runs to warn Obama::::

You think PresidenTTT Obama can help you? Mwahahaha

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:45 am

beachbum wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
fatduck wrote:I'll take the relative silence as a sign that I've blown everyone's minds.


@Marionberry: tell georgetown i'm too awesome to reject plz :D


You mean GeorgeTTTown?

Great post...TLS taught me to go to a school with no Ts in it...a T is just two TTs away from a TTT


What, so you're just gonna call it a day and head to Columbia UniversiTTTy? That's cool, I guess. I mean, it's not Harvard, but I guess it's all right.


AGH! :shock: Columbia UniversiTTTy in the CiTTTy of New York...a TTTTTT

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby beachbum » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 am

jtemp320 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:
fatduck wrote:I'll take the relative silence as a sign that I've blown everyone's minds.


@Marionberry: tell georgetown i'm too awesome to reject plz :D


You mean GeorgeTTTown?

Great post...TLS taught me to go to a school with no Ts in it...a T is just two TTs away from a TTT


What, so you're just gonna call it a day and head to Columbia UniversiTTTy? That's cool, I guess. I mean, it's not Harvard, but I guess it's all right.


AGH! :shock: Columbia UniversiTTTy in the CiTTTy of New York...a TTTTTT


Good luck with that, jTTTemp.

faithinlaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby faithinlaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:34 am

HARVARD YALE PRINCETTTON MITTT STTTANFORD
WILLIAMS AMHERSTTT SWARTTTHMORE

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:HARVARD YALE PRINCETTTON MITTT STTTANFORD
WILLIAMS AMHERSTTT SWARTTTHMORELIBERAL ARTTTS
FTTTFY

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby iwanta170 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:49 am

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/article-searc ... px?nid=337
Overall this year, 17.2 percent of the Class of 2010 secured clerkships

Despite a difficult job market, the total number of Vanderbilt graduates and alumni securing clerkships rose by 35 percent over 2009.


Could this have something to do with Vanderbilt's drop?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:20 pm

iwanta170 wrote:http://law.vanderbilt.edu/article-search/article-detail/index.aspx?nid=337
Overall this year, 17.2 percent of the Class of 2010 secured clerkships

Despite a difficult job market, the total number of Vanderbilt graduates and alumni securing clerkships rose by 35 percent over 2009.


Could this have something to do with Vanderbilt's drop?


It explains a bit of it but not even close. They went from placing something like 47% to not even 30%. Even if their Clerkships rose by 35% it won't account for nearly 17% of their class since people who clerk are a relatively small portion of the class to begin with anyways.

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby clone22 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:http://law.vanderbilt.edu/article-search/article-detail/index.aspx?nid=337
Overall this year, 17.2 percent of the Class of 2010 secured clerkships

Despite a difficult job market, the total number of Vanderbilt graduates and alumni securing clerkships rose by 35 percent over 2009.


Could this have something to do with Vanderbilt's drop?


It explains a bit of it but not even close. They went from placing something like 47% to not even 30%. Even if their Clerkships rose by 35% it won't account for nearly 17% of their class since people who clerk are a relatively small portion of the class to begin with anyways.

But the usual wisdom of biglaw + clerkships are what measures a school's placement power means that 29 (biglaw) + 17 (clerkship), and the school does a respectable 46% placement into decent work.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:25 pm

clone22 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:http://law.vanderbilt.edu/article-search/article-detail/index.aspx?nid=337
Overall this year, 17.2 percent of the Class of 2010 secured clerkships

Despite a difficult job market, the total number of Vanderbilt graduates and alumni securing clerkships rose by 35 percent over 2009.


Could this have something to do with Vanderbilt's drop?


It explains a bit of it but not even close. They went from placing something like 47% to not even 30%. Even if their Clerkships rose by 35% it won't account for nearly 17% of their class since people who clerk are a relatively small portion of the class to begin with anyways.

But the usual wisdom of biglaw + clerkships are what measures a school's placement power means that 29 (biglaw) + 17 (clerkship), and the school does a respectable 46% placement into decent work.


I never said Vandy wasn't respectable. I just said they still dropped a lot.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 pm

It also doesn't say that Vandy's clerkships were Article III clerkships (which are basically only the kind that are linked to BigLaw). My guess is much of that number is state court clerkships, which, while are great and lead to employment, are not going to lead to NLJ250-type employment and more likely place in small firm jobs.

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby drylo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 pm

keg411 wrote:It also doesn't say that Vandy's clerkships were Article III clerkships (which are basically only the kind that are linked to BigLaw). My guess is much of that number is state court clerkships, which, while are great and lead to employment, are not going to lead to NLJ250-type employment and more likely place in small firm jobs.


The link shows what the clerkships are. Most are Art. III. Three are bankruptcy. Two state supreme courts. One Delaware chancery (which is no worse, and arguably better, than Art. III if you want to do corporate). And then a couple lower state courts (but a couple of these aren't class of 2010 anyway--maybe career clerks?--so they don't count in the 17%).

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby FiveSermon » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:52 pm

drylo wrote:
keg411 wrote:It also doesn't say that Vandy's clerkships were Article III clerkships (which are basically only the kind that are linked to BigLaw). My guess is much of that number is state court clerkships, which, while are great and lead to employment, are not going to lead to NLJ250-type employment and more likely place in small firm jobs.


The link shows what the clerkships are. Most are Art. III. Three are bankruptcy. Two state supreme courts. One Delaware chancery (which is no worse, and arguably better, than Art. III if you want to do corporate). And then a couple lower state courts (but a couple of these aren't class of 2010 anyway--maybe career clerks?--so they don't count in the 17%).


There's so few people who do clerk that even if 6-10 people turns out didn't do article 3, that 17% drops to something much lower.

User avatar
drylo
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:41 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby drylo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:36 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
drylo wrote:
keg411 wrote:It also doesn't say that Vandy's clerkships were Article III clerkships (which are basically only the kind that are linked to BigLaw). My guess is much of that number is state court clerkships, which, while are great and lead to employment, are not going to lead to NLJ250-type employment and more likely place in small firm jobs.


The link shows what the clerkships are. Most are Art. III. Three are bankruptcy. Two state supreme courts. One Delaware chancery (which is no worse, and arguably better, than Art. III if you want to do corporate). And then a couple lower state courts (but a couple of these aren't class of 2010 anyway--maybe career clerks?--so they don't count in the 17%).


There's so few people who do clerk that even if 6-10 people turns out didn't do article 3, that 17% drops to something much lower.


That's basically true. I just said that most were Art. III. The exact numbers are on that site, but there are maybe 7-8 from class of 2010 that are not Art. III. That would make around 13-14% Art. III.

But if we are concerned with how much of the class has six-figure earning potential, you have to assume that the Delaware Chancery clerkship leads into an NLJ 250 firm (or at least the option of an NLJ 250 firm). Same very well may be true of bankruptcy and state supreme court, as well.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm

A recent issue of The National Law Journal and its Web site highlight law schools with the highest percentage of 2010 graduates hired by the NLJ top 250 law firms. Inexplicably, The National Law Journal omitted Brooklyn Law School from its "Go-to-Law-Schools" ranking.
According to the data that the Law School reported to the National Association for Law Placement and to The National Law Journal, 59 members of the 2010 graduating class, or 12.7%, were hired as first-year associates by NLJ top 250 law firms. Had The National Law Journal reported the facts correctly, Brooklyn Law School would have ranked 34th in the nation.

http://www.brooklaw.edu/newsandevents/n ... -2011.aspx?


LOL.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby wiseowl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:47 pm

phonepro wrote:A recent issue of The National Law Journal and its Web site highlight law schools with the highest percentage of 2010 graduates hired by the NLJ top 250 law firms. Inexplicably, The National Law Journal omitted Brooklyn Law School from its "Go-to-Law-Schools" ranking.
According to the data that the Law School reported to the National Association for Law Placement and to The National Law Journal, 59 members of the 2010 graduating class, or 12.7%, were hired as first-year associates by NLJ top 250 law firms. Had The National Law Journal reported the facts correctly, Brooklyn Law School would have ranked 34th in the nation.

http://www.brooklaw.edu/newsandevents/n ... -2011.aspx?


LOL.


Perhaps they omitted them since Brooklyn has admittedly submitted incorrect data to rankings compilers for years?

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby BCLS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:02 pm

Hahahahah that made me
Laugh

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Hmm. Since Brooklyn seems to be keeping such detailed employment records on its graduates, it sure would be nice if they would share those records with the public.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:OMG a lot of the top 10 is under 50 percent now. I remember when I first began looking at law schools every top 10 had at least 50 percent of the class in nlj 250--Columbia used to have 70+ percent.....this is really getting bad. Look what happened to Duke!!!! 38 percent


You think its bad now? Wait till CO' 2011 comes out!


+1. The massive anal rapeage didn't begin until c/o 2011. I remember reading some article after c/o 2010 did OCI about how the t14 was recession proof (suggesting these numbers were really good).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.