2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:The text above the chart mentions the 'Firm Favorites' list (the school from which each firm hires the most grads), but there's no link to it. Or am I just being blinded by the awful numbers in the Go-To Schools list?


Check the date on the article. This is a potentially mistakenly posted early list. Should come out 2/28.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:43 pm

dakatz wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:BU/BC > USC/Vand/UT is surprising... with UCLA breaking about the UT/Vand/UCLA group. Of course, this doesn't account for clerkships which would push Vand/UT above BU/BC, but this is surprising.


Lol, now the BC homers have some extra ammo. They will fight tooth and nail over their additional 3.58% :)


as if they weren't insufferable enough...

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 pm

dakatz wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:BU/BC > USC/Vand/UT is surprising... with UCLA breaking about the UT/Vand/UCLA group. Of course, this doesn't account for clerkships which would push Vand/UT above BU/BC, but this is surprising.


Lol, now the BC homers have some extra ammo. They will fight tooth and nail over their additional 3.58% :)


Eh, everyone knows BC is a damn quality school. Let them have their day. More importantly, seems like the Boston contingent is separating itself from the ND/Emory block and steaming ahead of WUSTL.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Old data:

Class of 2009: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843

Class of 2008: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2428438260

lllllllllllllllllol at the '08 data.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby dakatz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

thesealocust wrote:Old data:

Class of 2009: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843

Class of 2008: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2428438260

lllllllllllllllllol at the '08 data.


Can someone please invent a time machine? Thank you

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Nightrunner wrote:A few notes:

Last year, nine schools had placement at or above 50%. This year, there were four.

Last year, the #25 school placed 26.7%; this year, #25 placed 18.96%.

Last year, only two schools made the top fifty by placing fewer than 15% of their students in NLJ 250 firms; this year, #30 Wake Forest placed 15.06%.

tl;dr - bad


Two years ago, the entire T14 had 49% or better NLJ 250 placement.

Can we just keep posting that pic of the moon slamming into the earth?

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 pm

When I first saw this list last year (I had just applied to schools) I thought that this was a more meaningful ranking or at least indication of placement power than USNWR (obviously excluding certain schools because of clerkships). Now, after seeing some of the big swings year to year (looking at you NU, Cornell, Duke, USC) it appears that this too tells us little about what the hiring situation might look like in the future.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nosaj123
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby nosaj123 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Vanderbilt students, any idea why your school appeared to be hit so much harder than any other school (from 47% to 29%)? I thought the small class sizes and broad geographical placement would have helped sustain the employment numbers.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby keg411 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Now Cornell will stop getting shit about last years' numbers :D.

User avatar
icouldbuyu
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby icouldbuyu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm

What about Fordham? Is it fair to say that BC/BU are better than Fordham? 25 percent for the largest legal market is horrible. Doesn't it mean that you probably have to be top 15 percent to get big law since there are kids that go to Fordham with jobs already lined up.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:The text above the chart mentions the 'Firm Favorites' list (the school from which each firm hires the most grads), but there's no link to it. Or am I just being blinded by the awful numbers in the Go-To Schools list?


Check the date on the article. This is a potentially mistakenly posted early list. Should come out 2/28.


Hmm. I figured the future date just meant the article would come out in the 2/28 print issue.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 pm

guys i'm sure everyone else just clerked

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby TLSNYC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 pm

fatduck wrote:guys i'm sure everyone else just clerked


Or self-selected out of jobs at large firms!

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:When I first saw this list last year (I had just applied to schools) I thought that this was a more meaningful ranking or at least indication of placement power than USNWR (obviously excluding certain schools because of clerkships). Now, after seeing some of the big swings year to year (looking at you NU, Cornell, Duke, USC) it appears that this too tells us little about what the hiring situation might look like in the future.


You'll notice it's schools with smaller class sizes that bounce around more.

At a school with 200 students, 20 students is 10% of the class. That means fluctuation will be natural because some years those 20 people on the borderline will sneak in with connections and some years they'll all have rotten luck with OCI.

This data is still the best out there, you just have to look at general trends. i.e. the 40%+ schools are all great, and the differences between them are slight.

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm

thesealocust wrote:This data is still the best out there, you just have to look at general trends. i.e. the 37.56%+ schools are all great, and the differences between them are slight.



:(

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 pm

fatduck wrote:guys i'm sure everyone else just clerked


That reminds me of a public interest career information session the other day in which one practicing lawyer (who graduated from GULC) said that if we're not able to to get a public interest job right out of school, we should just clerk for a federal judge.

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 pm

depressing? YUP

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby thesealocust » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Also, will this make the Vanderbilt trolls shut up? Yes, your schools is good. No, it's not as good as any school in the T13. Yes, Cornell, the school I often see people claim is very close to a peer of Vandy, placed nearly twice as many into big firms this year as Vandy did in these data.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 pm

OGR3 wrote:
fatduck wrote:guys i'm sure everyone else just clerked


That reminds me of a public interest career information session the other day in which one practicing lawyer (who graduated from GULC) said that if we're not able to to get a public interest job right out of school, we should just clerk for a federal judge.

Haha. That kind of stuff just makes you feel great, huh?

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby violinst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Cornell didn't disappoint.

I chose wisely.

Just saying.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby jcunni5 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Cornell beat CNMVPDN, they will be talking tons of shit for the rest of the year

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm

A'nold wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
fatduck wrote:guys i'm sure everyone else just clerked


That reminds me of a public interest career information session the other day in which one practicing lawyer (who graduated from GULC) said that if we're not able to to get a public interest job right out of school, we should just clerk for a federal judge.

Haha. That kind of stuff just makes you feel great, huh?

It took all the will I had to not respond with "What do you think I'm more likely to accomplish? Getting a 4.0 for the rest of law school, or developing a time machine to actually try in undergrad? Because those are the only ways I'll have a chance of getting an Article III clerkship."

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Well my Penn/UVA poll just gave a vote to Penn...screw Cornell

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm

OGR3 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
fatduck wrote:guys i'm sure everyone else just clerked


That reminds me of a public interest career information session the other day in which one practicing lawyer (who graduated from GULC) said that if we're not able to to get a public interest job right out of school, we should just clerk for a federal judge.

Haha. That kind of stuff just makes you feel great, huh?

It took all the will I had to not respond with "What do you think I'm more likely to accomplish? Getting a 4.0 for the rest of law school, or developing a time machine to actually try in undergrad? Because those are the only ways I'll have a chance of getting an Article III clerkship."

Haha, for realz.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Holy fuck. And I was just looking for motivation to study. Thanks, TLS.

My impressions:

- I know that Cornell doesn't put as many people into clerkships and public interest that CLS or NYU do, but dear god, a 15% biglaw difference between Cornell and NYU? Small class size maybe? Three out of the four top schools have classes less than 275. No other school in the top 10 can claim that, although that really doesn't explain Duke sitting at #11 with a rather dismal 38%.
- Northwestern is a little shocking; they were #1 last year after all. I know that the Chicago market got hit hard, but obviously it didn't affect UofC too badly (of course, relatively speaking), which actually went UP.
- I remember this time last year when the Vandy people were blowing their trumpets in triumph over besting Cornell and GULC. One hell of a drop, Vandy. Disappoint.
- Seeing any T14 school putting below less than 40% of its students into biglaw is horrifying. RIP Duke Law C/O 2010.
- My school, Michigan's drop is disheartening but not that surprising. I know that these numbers are bad compared to what they're going to be compared the C/O 2013 but since these are going to be the most recent stats we have going into fall OCI, it feels like they're going to be swinging over our heads.

Not a good time to go to be going to law school. But not as bad as the people a couple classes back had it.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.