2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KMaine

Silver

Re: 2011 Top 50 Go-To Law Schools

Post by KMaine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 am

rad law wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:If Cornell goes up immay go there
About 40% for class of 2011. See ATL.
All indications are that 2012 should be pretty strong.

Trequartista

Bronze

Post by Trequartista » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 am

I really don't understand all the hate for Cornell on TLS. It has historically placed on par with MVPDN. 2009 was an anomaly, I think it is safe to say, and everyone had it bad in 2011. Cornell will probably have strong numbers for C/O 2012 and onwards.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:58 am

nael wrote:I really don't understand all the hate for Cornell on TLS. It has historically placed on par with MVPDN. 2009 was an anomaly, I think it is safe to say, and everyone had it bad in 2011. Cornell will probably have strong numbers for C/O 2012 and onwards.
People are very impressed that their 1 extra LSAT point got them in at Northwestern, Michigan, or Virginia, and hating on Cornell makes them feel special.

drylo

Bronze

Post by drylo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 am

nael wrote:I really don't understand all the hate for Cornell on TLS. It has historically placed on par with MVPDN. 2009 was an anomaly, I think it is safe to say, and everyone had it bad in 2011. Cornell will probably have strong numbers for C/O 2012 and onwards.
It's simple, really. Cornell is very expensive (with relatively little scholarship money) and doesn't deliver sufficiently better placement than other schools (if at all, depending on the school and year) to justify the price tag. The biggest (only?) advantage about Cornell (if you are into NYC biglaw) is that a lot of NY firms will do OCI at Cornell. The flip side is that if you don't want to work in NYC, there is nothing attractive about Cornell. At all.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 pm

drylo wrote:
It's simple, really. Cornell is very expensive (with relatively little scholarship money) and doesn't deliver sufficiently better placement than other schools (if at all, depending on the school and year) to justify the price tag. The biggest (only?) advantage about Cornell (if you are into NYC biglaw) is that a lot of NY firms will do OCI at Cornell. The flip side is that if you don't want to work in NYC, there is nothing attractive about Cornell. At all.
Also, Ithaca.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Trequartista

Bronze

Post by Trequartista » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:25 pm

beachbum wrote:
drylo wrote:
Also, Ithaca.
Is it just me or is the idea of not living in a bit city not that bad?

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 pm

nael wrote:
beachbum wrote:
drylo wrote:
Also, Ithaca.
I actually think its a plus for Ithaca as well. I've lived next to nyc for years and i'm seriously considerng cornell over columbia and nyu

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:29 pm

nael wrote:
beachbum wrote:
drylo wrote:
Also, Ithaca.
The big city thing doesn't bother me. (Hell, I'm moving to Durham). The frozen tundra is the main issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:06 pm

drylo wrote:
I agree Cornell is expensive. But placement wise it's right up there with MVPDB. Look at every single year's data except class of 2009 and it will support this. 2011 will be a slaughter for almost every school and 2012 is when we should see some stabilization.

Regarding the price tag, while it is true, the price tag is fairly similar to most private non-state schools. Out of the T14 it may be the first or 2nd most expensive school but the difference between first and 7th is something like 2-4k a year? It's not significant.

The only real complaint I see against Cornell is it's location. I think we can all agree Ithaca is not for everyone. But then neither is SoCal or Nashville. I don't see many objections against schools in SoCal or Nashville because of this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
drylo wrote:
I agree Cornell is expensive. But placement wise it's right up there with MVPDB. Look at every single year's data except class of 2009 and it will support this. 2011 will be a slaughter for almost every school and 2012 is when we should see some stabilization.

Regarding the price tag, while it is true, the price tag is fairly similar to most private non-state schools. Out of the T14 it may be the first or 2nd most expensive school but the difference between first and 7th is something like 2-4k a year? It's not significant.

The only real complaint I see against Cornell is it's location. I think we can all agree Ithaca is not for everyone. But then neither is SoCal or Nashville. I don't see many objections against schools in SoCal or Nashville because of this.
Well, I don't think UCLA, USC, or Pepperdine had to erect nets to keep kids from jumping into the pacific ocean.

But you're right - it is a preference thing. Some people prefer to live in frozen narnia, whereas others would rather live in paradise.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:07 pm

nael wrote:
beachbum wrote:
drylo wrote:
Also, Ithaca.
QF never been to Ithaca.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:08 pm

beachbum wrote:The big city thing doesn't bother me. (Hell, I'm moving to Durham). The frozen tundra is the main issue.

This. You don't see the big city thing stopping people from going to Charlottesville.

(welcome to Duke btw)

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

jay115 wrote:
Well, I don't think UCLA, USC, or Pepperdine had to erect nets to keep kids from jumping into the pacific ocean.

But you're right - it is a preference thing. Some people prefer to live in frozen narnia, whereas others would rather live in paradise.
UCLA/USC/Pepperdine may not have had to erect nets to keep kids from jumping into the Pacific, but they'll have to give out bulletproof vests to keep kids from dying when they get shot. And besides, I don't think paradise has gang wars, smog and 24/7 rush hour traffic. Oh and did I mention the shitty employment market in CA?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:02 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
jay115 wrote:

UCLA/USC/Pepperdine may not have had to erect nets to keep kids from jumping into the Pacific, but they'll have to give out bulletproof vests to keep kids from dying when they get shot. And besides, I don't think paradise has gang wars, smog and 24/7 rush hour traffic. Oh and did I mention the shitty employment market in CA?
Right, because kids are really getting shot at by gangs in Beverly Hills/Westwood and Malibu, CA. These crazy LA millionaires are truly hoods.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:30 pm

jay115 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Right, because kids are really getting shot at by gangs in Beverly Hills/Westwood and Malibu, CA. These crazy LA millionaires are truly hoods.
+1. I'll give you the shitty traffic and occasional smog, but gang violence affecting UCLA and Pepperdine? lolwut. Give me Westwood over Ithaca any day of the week.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:15 pm

jay115 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
jay115 wrote:

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:20 pm

beachbum wrote:
jay115 wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
jay115 wrote:

+1. I'll give you the shitty traffic and occasional smog, but gang violence affecting UCLA and Pepperdine? lolwut. Give me Westwood over Ithaca any day of the week.
I'll take snow 9 months a year over the pretentious bastards that think SoCal is the only livable place in the entire world any day of the week, twice on saturday and thrice on sunday. Oh and did I mention Lindsay Lohan still has her driver's license? Have fun trying not to get run over by a drunk/high/coked-up celebrity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:I'll take snow 9 months a year over the pretentious bastards that think SoCal is the only livable place in the entire world any day of the week, twice on saturday and thrice on sunday. Oh and did I mention Lindsay Lohan still has her driver's license? Have fun trying not to get run over by a drunk/high/coked-up celebrity.
lol, I'll do my best. Just watch out for those polar bears, bro.

Trequartista

Bronze

Post by Trequartista » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:57 am

It doesn't snow 9 months a year in Ithaca does it?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:06 am

nael wrote:It doesn't snow 9 months a year in Ithaca does it?
Pictured: Ithaca in July.

Trequartista

Bronze

Post by Trequartista » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:17 am

beachbum wrote:
nael wrote:It doesn't snow 9 months a year in Ithaca does it?
Pictured: Ithaca in July.

:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 pm

beachbum wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:I'll take snow 9 months a year over the pretentious bastards that think SoCal is the only livable place in the entire world any day of the week, twice on saturday and thrice on sunday. Oh and did I mention Lindsay Lohan still has her driver's license? Have fun trying not to get run over by a drunk/high/coked-up celebrity.
lol, I'll do my best. Just watch out for those polar bears, bro.
I'll keep my shotgun close.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Thu May 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Has anyone figured out why NYU fared so badly?

Bobeo

Bronze

Post by Bobeo » Sat May 21, 2011 2:45 am

As someone from Indiana considering IUB next year, what is the deal?

Is attending IUB ever a good idea?

mpard84

New

Post by mpard84 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:27 am

Hmmm....

I knew I should have gone to UGA or Seton Hall. Or maybe Wake Forest.

You know the problem with this site? Not enough lists! More lists!!!!

Bullshit.

Study. Articulate. EC's. Be charming. Shave once in a while. Work out. Wash your face. Don't be hungover in class.

Success!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”