Two SA positions (1L) - advice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Firm A or B?

A
55%
B
45%

Total votes: 11

Anonymous User

Two SA positions (1L) - advice?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Having a real tough time deciding between two SA offers. I'll call these firms 'A' and 'B.'

Both are in secondary markets. A is considered the top in its market, B is a lifestyle firm in the top ten in its market. Any advice?

Pros for A:
-#1 in its market & V100 - probably would give me more nationwide credibility for 2L OCI, if I want to leave region
-pays at market (would be able to eliminate my LS debt so far after one summer)
-I live in this city currently
-I have family in this city
-wins awards for how it treats its employees, including women and ppl with disabilities

Cons for A:
-did not like the ppl as much as B - felt a little less genuine, and/or less happy
-partners were more aloof and disinterested
-expected billable hours are much higher than B
-less likely I would be able to reach partner
-less hands on experience as associate

Pros for B:
-lifestyle firm - more flexibility
-the ppl are awesome - I liked them more than any other lawyers I've met
-pays well, a little lower than market, around $20k less than A (wouldn't be able to completely pay back loans over summer)
-clearly values employees and they like each other
-those I interviewed with expressed more interest in me as a person and employee than A
-I think it would be easier to make partner here

Cons for B:
-I'm not living in B's city currently and would have to rent & cook for summer and save less $$ (I'm living with fam right now)
-city is several hours drive away from where fam live - significant other and I want to have kids and would be harder if away from fam
-doesn't have a national reputation, but well known in the region

tl;dr A pays more, better rep, works you harder, and in the city I live in. B has nicer ppl, better culture, lifestyle firm, and more likely to advance, but away from family.

Thanks for any thoughts. I appreciate it!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Two SA positions (1L) - advice?

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 pm

A.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Try to split? 1L summer jobs aren't going to lead directly to offers from my understanding so could split and pick preferred one for 2L summer if invited back and try and work out an offer for after graduation.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Having a real tough time deciding between two SA offers. I'll call these firms 'A' and 'B.'

Both are in secondary markets. A is considered the top in its market, B is in the top ten in its market. Any advice?

Pros for A:
-#1 in its market & V100 - probably would give me more nationwide credibility for 2L OCI, if I want to leave region
-pays at market (would be able to eliminate my LS debt so far after one summer)
-I live in this city currently
-I have family in this city
-wins awards for how it treats its employees, including women and ppl with disabilities

Cons for A:
-did not like the ppl as much as B - felt a little less genuine, and/or less happy
-partners were more aloof and disinterested
-expected billable hours are much higher than B
-less likely I would be able to reach partner
-less hands on experience as associate

Pros for B:
-lifestyle firm - more flexibility
-the ppl are awesome - I liked them more than any other lawyers I've met
-pays well, a little lower than market, around $20k less than A (wouldn't be able to completely pay back loans over summer)
-clearly values employees and they like each other
-those I interviewed with expressed more interest in me as a person and employee than A
-I think it would be easier to make partner here

Cons for B:
-I'm not living in B's city currently and would have to rent & cook for summer and save less $$ (I'm living with fam right now)
-city is several hours drive away from where fam live - significant other and I want to have kids and would be harder if away from fam
-doesn't have a national reputation, but well known in the region

Thanks for any thoughts. I appreciate it!

This is almost my situation exactly, but I'm a 2L. I'm splitting my summer, but splitting is extremely common in Texas. I assume you're not from Texas, but I'll just throw it out there. Are they 12-week offers? 10 weeks? I ask this because I was worried that splitting would send the wrong message to the more prestigious firm. So, I arranged my finals schedule strategically and squeaked out a couple extra weeks of summer. I am going to be spending the better part of a traditional SA at both firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Unitas wrote:Try to split? 1L summer jobs aren't going to lead directly to offers from my understanding so could split and pick preferred one for 2L summer if invited back and try and work out an offer for after graduation.

Thanks. Good point. However, firm B did say they want ppl to come back after 1L and join firm. Firm A didn't say anything similar.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Unitas wrote:Try to split? 1L summer jobs aren't going to lead directly to offers from my understanding so could split and pick preferred one for 2L summer if invited back and try and work out an offer for after graduation.

+1

Beat me to it. Split. If they really want you, they'll work it out. And if they say no, just pick which one you want. One of my friends is splitting his summer three ways. And he still had two weeks open, and another firm was interested in interviewing him for those two weeks. The crazy things is, he'll get offers from all three, no doubt.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

a pays 20k more / thread

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

JazzOne wrote:This is almost my situation exactly, but I'm a 2L. I'm splitting my summer, but splitting is extremely common in Texas. I assume you're not from Texas, but I'll just throw it out there. Are they 12-week offers? 10 weeks? I ask this because I was worried that splitting would send the wrong message to the more prestigious firm. So, I arranged my finals schedule strategically and squeaked out a couple extra weeks of summer. I am going to be spending the better part of a traditional SA at both firms.

I bet your wallet appreciates your scheduling abilities...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:59 pm

JazzOne wrote:This is almost my situation exactly, but I'm a 2L. I'm splitting my summer, but splitting is extremely common in Texas. I assume you're not from Texas, but I'll just throw it out there. Are they 12-week offers? 10 weeks? I ask this because I was worried that splitting would send the wrong message to the more prestigious firm. So, I arranged my finals schedule strategically and squeaked out a couple extra weeks of summer. I am going to be spending the better part of a traditional SA at both firms.

Unfortunately, I already know I won't be able to split at either. Both firms look down on splitting.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Good point. However, firm B did say they want ppl to come back after 1L and join firm. Firm A didn't say anything similar.

You mention partnership possibilities at these firms. Have you talked to firm B about it's partnership policies? I ask because the smaller firm I'm working for largely sold me on their partnership structure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:23 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You mention partnership possibilities at these firms. Have you talked to firm B about it's partnership policies? I ask because the smaller firm I'm working for largely sold me on their partnership structure.

We did not talk about partnership policies, but B mentioned to me that they have a particular interest in having partners w/ some of the qualities and experience I have.

Return to “Legal Employment”