1L Public Defender Intern... Desirable or mark of shame?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Public Defender Intern... Desirable or mark of shame?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:58 pm

I want to go back home so that I can network there over the summer. Public Defender may be all that I can do. Is this a decent way to spend the summer?

A'nold

Re: 1L Public Defender Intern... Desirable or mark of shame?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Last edited by A'nold on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Public defender internships are actually awesome. You get to go to court and jail a lot, read interesting cases, and generally work on some pretty cool stuff. Doing anything legal over 1L summer is better than nothing. Of course, this really depends on your intended career goals. If you want to do criminal law or PI work, public defender experience is great. If you want to work in a private firm, you might be better off looking for an internship with a judge or in a firm.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to go back home so that I can network there over the summer. Public Defender may be all that I can do. Is this a decent way to spend the summer?

legal work beats no legal work. What are your other options?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm

I wouldn't say shame is the right word. It's more like guilt and resentment.

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:21 pm

I completely agree with the above poster...public defender internship would be an excellent experience. sure it is not as desirable as a paying firm job, but if you have any interest in pursuing a career in criminal law, then that job would be great and extremely interesting. i have also heard that it is quite difficult to become a public defender if you have not worked in public defender's office during law school [at least in my region]. but ultimately, any job is a good job ITE, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with working in a public defender's office...best of luck

dshirs32

Postby dshirs32 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 pm

and by above poster I meant leobowski

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I want to go back home so that I can network there over the summer. Public Defender may be all that I can do. Is this a decent way to spend the summer?

mark of shame?

I don't like you

sorry for the unhelp

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:14 pm

I'd worry more about them hiring you given your obvious lack of enthusiasm for the work....

haus

Postby haus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:18 pm

It seems like it would be far better to intern for a Public Defender then to be in need of their services.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Are you getting public interest dollars?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:17 am

OP here.

Here are the specifics: I haven't yet found anything else. The office is in a small town about an hour outside of the secondary market which is far and away my #1 choice for 2L summer / after graduation. If I work there, I'll get a stipend from my school (plus my family will help a little).

Additionally, I'm kind of interested in PD work / criminal work long term, but I'd really prefer to the do the Corporate / M&A / Securities / fancy law firm thing right after school if at all possible. Would PD work against me for finding a 2L job at a firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Here are the specifics: I haven't yet found anything else. The office is in a small town about an hour outside of the secondary market which is far and away my #1 choice for 2L summer / after graduation. If I work there, I'll get a stipend from my school (plus my family will help a little).

Additionally, I'm kind of interested in PD work / criminal work long term, but I'd really prefer to the do the Corporate / M&A / Securities / fancy law firm thing right after school if at all possible. Would PD work against me for finding a 2L job at a firm?

I just accepted a summer internship at a PD office too, and I've been thinking about the same things- I don't think it will work against you, especially if you emphasize some of the more universal skills you'll be working on, like working with clients, learning about juries, developing rapport with courthouse staff, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”