NY Fed vs. SEC Summer Honors

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Pick one:

NY Fed Summer Law Clerk
76%
SEC Summer Honors
24%

Total votes: 17

Anonymous User

NY Fed vs. SEC Summer Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:55 pm

End goal is Biglaw since neither hire straight out of law school. Curious as to what the TLS commentariat thinks.

From what I understand, both are damn competitive (and prestigious), but the SEC isn't paying and the Fed does (15k).

Anonymous User

Re: NY Fed vs. SEC Summer Honors

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I take it that means you've heard back from ny fed? When/how did you hear?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Really hard to compare prestige value. Both are as prestigious as you can get for their respective areas. I think if you're interested in securities regulation, you should take SEC because it will make you more persuasive at OCI. If you're into banking/monetary regulation, take the Fed Reserve for the same reason.

If you're indifferent and don't mind spinning it in favor of banking regulation, take the Fed Reserve for the extra 15k.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:34 pm

SEC has an advanced commitment program for entry level attorneys.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:End goal is Biglaw since neither hire straight out of law school. Curious as to what the TLS commentariat thinks.

From what I understand, both are damn competitive (and prestigious), but the SEC isn't paying and the Fed does (15k).

Take NY Fed and run.

Why? Because I think it will be a more unique experience for you and will probably be more interesting. Plus, it pays.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:44 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:End goal is Biglaw since neither hire straight out of law school. Curious as to what the TLS commentariat thinks.

Take NY Fed and run.

Why? Because I think it will be a more unique experience for you and will probably be more interesting. Plus, it pays.

So not only do you know which Division/office he'll be in at the SEC, but have worked in it as well as the NY Fed? How else can you possibly have the audacity to say which would be more interesting and/or unique? :roll:

Undoubtedly the money is an important factor.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

Take NY Fed and run.

So not only do you know which Division/office he'll be in at the SEC, but have worked in it as well as the NY Fed? How else can you possibly have the audacity to say which would be more interesting and/or unique? :roll:

Undoubtedly the money is an important factor.

Why anonymous?

Seeing the inside of the NY Fed would be a unique experience - and, as much as 1L work can set you apart, is actually different than what most other people will be doing.

Return to “Legal Employment”