State DOJ vs local DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State DOJ vs local DA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Hello all,

I'm a 1L at a T14. I want to be an ADA after graduation, hopefully an AUSA at some point down the line. I have offers from the state Attorney General's office and a very small local DA's office. Which would be the better experience if I ultimately want to be a DA? I feel that the former position is much more prestigious and better connected, and that the latter is more hands-on. But I also figure that if I really want to, I can probably extern at a DAs office later on.

Any advice?

TTH

Diamond

Re: State DOJ vs local DA

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello all,

I'm a 1L at a T14. I want to be an ADA after graduation, hopefully an AUSA at some point down the line. I have offers from the state Attorney General's office and a very small local DA's office. Which would be the better experience if I ultimately want to be a DA? I feel that the former position is much more prestigious and better connected, and that the latter is more hands-on. But I also figure that if I really want to, I can probably extern at a DAs office later on.

Any advice?
Everything I've heard about being a deputy AG is that it's not that great of an experience. You won't be handling a ton of criminal matters, maybe none depending on what section you're in. The pay's not great, and neither are the exit options. This all solely anecdotalbased on my conversations with some deputy AGs.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Go with DA, especially if they give preference to former interns for hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:15 pm

TTH wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hello all,

Any advice?
Everything I've heard about being a deputy AG is that it's not that great of an experience. You won't be handling a ton of criminal matters, maybe none depending on what section you're in. The pay's not great, and neither are the exit options. This all solely anecdotalbased on my conversations with some deputy AGs.
My section would be entirely criminal, most of the work is appellate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:16 pm

rad law wrote:Go with DA, especially if they give preference to former interns for hiring.

They probably do, but this office is so small that I highly doubt I could end up with a job there (and I'm not sure I'd want to really)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 am

No one else has any input on this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”