What do you consider Biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Re: What do you consider Biglaw?

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 am

A'nold wrote:
haus wrote:
A'nold wrote:
haus wrote:6 foot 4, 250ish pounds?

Shucks, I am only 6' 1", 260 lbs (a splitter, if you will). Maybe some of my interesting work experience would convince a 'BigLaw' firm to give me a chance...

I don't know man.....at least you are on the good side of the splitter continuum. You basically have no shot as a 6'7, 185 pounder.

ED?

With those numbers it is still a long shot. At this point I think re-eat and re apply for next cycle. Not only will op get the job but they might throw in some free twinkies

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 pm

My breakdown:
Godzillaw = >1500 attys
Big law = 1500-500 attys
Mid law= 500-50 attys
Smallaw = <50 attys

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:26 am

145/160k+ starting or any firm with 500+ attorneys

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:58 am

donzoli wrote:My breakdown:
Godzillaw = >1500 attys
Big law = 1500-500 attys
Mid law= 500-50 attys
Smallaw = <50 attys

lol

biglaw = market salary (depending upon market)

quality of work =/= size of firm, bro

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:01 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:I would say NLJ 250 + any firm paying at or near market for the city. So in Ohio for example it would be any firm that paid over 100k.

For me the "big" in "biglaw" is big money.

This.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:03 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Godzillaw = >1500 attys
Big law = 1500-500 attys
Mid law= 500-50 attys
Smallaw = <50 attys

lol

I also had (and to some extent still have) the impression that BigLaw is associated primarily with size of firm rather than salary. The big firms seem to be the ones paying most, but I never thought a firm with a handful of employees would be considered BigLaw even if it paid well...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Godzillaw = >1500 attys
Big law = 1500-500 attys
Mid law= 500-50 attys
Smallaw = <50 attys

lol

I also had (and to some extent still have) the impression that BigLaw is associated primarily with size of firm rather than salary. The big firms seem to be the ones paying most, but I never thought a firm with a handful of employees would be considered BigLaw even if it paid well...

So. . . the big firms that advertise on the subways are biglaw? I am now better informed.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:34 am

Veyron wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:
Godzillaw = >1500 attys
Big law = 1500-500 attys
Mid law= 500-50 attys
Smallaw = <50 attys

lol

So. . . the big firms that advertise on the subways are biglaw? I am now better informed.

No, you're still ignorant. Those would be small firms that pay very well, not big firms that pay poorly. That fucker with the stupid hat doing SSDI cases is making a fucking fortune.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:47 am

[/quote]

lol

quality of work =/= size of firm, bro[/quote]

I also had (and to some extent still have) the impression that BigLaw is associated primarily with size of firm rather than salary. The big firms seem to be the ones paying most, but I never thought a firm with a handful of employees would be considered BigLaw even if it paid well...[/quote]

So. . . the big firms that advertise on the subways are biglaw? I am now better informed.[/quote]
No, you're still ignorant. Those would be small firms that pay very well, not big firms that pay poorly. That fucker with the stupid hat doing SSDI cases is making a fucking fortune.[/quote]

Right, but some of those firms have like a million billion lawyers under the head guys.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 am

Veyron wrote:a bunch of quoting fail, something about subway attorneys

You want to be the one to tell these guys they aren't biglaw?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:54 am

Veyron wrote:

lol

quality of work =/= size of firm, bro[/quote]

I also had (and to some extent still have) the impression that BigLaw is associated primarily with size of firm rather than salary. The big firms seem to be the ones paying most, but I never thought a firm with a handful of employees would be considered BigLaw even if it paid well...[/quote]

So. . . the big firms that advertise on the subways are biglaw? I am now better informed.[/quote]
No, you're still ignorant. Those would be small firms that pay very well, not big firms that pay poorly. That fucker with the stupid hat doing SSDI cases is making a fucking fortune.[/quote]

Right, but some of those firms have like a million billion lawyers under the head guys.[/quote]
Nah, they got a warehouse full of secretaries and paralegals that do all that shit. All they do is change the plaintiff's name and file the same complaint over and over.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:02 am

Renzo wrote:
Veyron wrote:

lol

Right, but some of those firms have like a million billion lawyers under the head guys.[/quote]
Nah, they got a warehouse full of secretaries and paralegals that do all that shit. All they do is change the plaintiff's name and file the same complaint over and over.[/quote]

Interesting, I don't live in NY but these sorts of firms always make the lists for the largest employers of attorneys in my state. I wonder why the difference?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 am

Veyron wrote:
Interesting, I don't live in NY but these sorts of firms always make the lists for the largest employers of attorneys in my state. I wonder why the difference?

New York isn't like any legal market in the country. It's a bit dated, but:

--LinkRemoved--

Like 95 of the biggest 100 legal employers are traditional "biglaw" firms by any definition. Then there are a lot of relatively high-paying midmarket firms that are big in absolute terms (>50 employees) that don't even make the list.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:59 am

Starting six figure salary.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:18 am

fatduck wrote:

The guy on the left is kind of pulling this crap off but the guy on the right looks absolutely ridiculous. You can just tell he's like "ugh, why does dude on the left always bully me into doing these barbaric advertisements.....where's my fresca?"

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:22 am

fatduck wrote:

Fatduck, you may be my 2nd favorite poster on all of TLS.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:02 am

Stonewall wrote:Any job that allows me to payoff my loans in a reasonable amount of time.

What if you went to a TTT on a full scholarship. McDonalds would fit the bill? Burger flipping = biglaw?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:42 am

donzoli wrote:Where is the cut-off for biglaw? Is it every firm in NLJ 250 biglaw?

V-5

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:49 am

In answer to the original question, I say it has to be big/important enough to get talked about in the industry-watching news outlets, like WSJ law blog, Lawshucks, ATL, JD journal, Blog of the Legal TImes, etc.

Yes, there are good jobs in firms outside of these. But if you say "biglaw" I don't want to hear about a 30 person firm in New Mexico that happens to pay $110k to new hires.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Renzo wrote:In answer to the original question, I say it has to be big/important enough to get talked about in the industry-watching news outlets, like WSJ law blog, Lawshucks, ATL, JD journal, Blog of the Legal TImes, etc.

Yes, there are good jobs in firms outside of these. But if you say "biglaw" I don't want to hear about a 30 person firm in New Mexico that happens to pay $110k to new hires.

This makes no sense though. In a lot of secondary markets you get V100s that exist right alongside local firms which pay the same, have the same number of people in that city's office, have SA programs of the same size, and pay their partners the same. Is one really biglaw and the other not?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Two pages in and I still don't know if I got biglaw.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Veyron wrote:
Renzo wrote:In answer to the original question, I say it has to be big/important enough to get talked about in the industry-watching news outlets, like WSJ law blog, Lawshucks, ATL, JD journal, Blog of the Legal TImes, etc.

This makes no sense though. In a lot of secondary markets you get V100s that exist right alongside local firms which pay the same, have the same number of people in that city's office, have SA programs of the same size, and pay their partners the same. Is one really biglaw and the other not?

I think so. Like I said, it's not a term that encompasses all the good legal jobs in the world. In your example, the V100 office is "biglaw" only by it's association with a home office someplace that's genuinely "big."

Now, I understand that people include the latter when they say, "I need a biglaw job to pay off my debt." But if we're going to define the term, that usage to me is sloppy. They mean they need a high-paying job, not a job in a large firm that works on the size & types of matters and for the size & types of clients that typify "biglaw"

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:22 pm

HugerThanSoup wrote:Yes, high-paying boutique =/= "biglaw."

True, this should be called "funlaw"

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Renzo wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I think so. Like I said, it's not a term that encompasses all the good legal jobs in the world. In your example, the V100 office is "biglaw" only by it's association with a home office someplace that's genuinely "big."

Now, I understand that people include the latter when they say, "I need a biglaw job to pay off my debt." But if we're going to define the term, that usage to me is sloppy. They mean they need a high-paying job, not a job in a large firm that works on the size & types of matters and for the size & types of clients that typify "biglaw"

Right, but the local firms do get the biglaw type stuff (major league local sports teams, local (and regional) Fortune 500s, etc.) It sounds like you are saying that the only reason that they shouldn't be considered biglaw is not quality of work but rather just that their main office has 100 attorneys and their firm as a whole has 250. If that is your criteria for "biglaw" there are some really crappy firms that qualify.

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:36 pm

160k starting salary = biglaw

PERIOD

Return to “Legal Employment”