Becoming a DA with a criminal record

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

I will be starting law school this fall, and I am only interested in working as an ADA when I graduate. Unfortunately, I have a criminal record that consists of an expunged possession of marijuana charge, as well as a DUI. By the time I graduate law school, both of these charges will be 7-8 years old.

Is having a clean record a prerequisite for becoming a District Attorney, or are these decision made on a state-by-state/case-by-case basis?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
beaverfuzz
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby beaverfuzz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I would bet this is office-specific.
Last edited by beaverfuzz on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby kapachino » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:54 pm

You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work. I think having a record would definitely limit your employment options in regards to that section of law.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:57 pm

kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis. The mj charge isn't that bad because it was expunged. And the DUI will be less offensive because it will be years old by then (long enough that any probation would be over). Nonetheless, put yourself in a DA's position. Unless your LS has a history in the district you want to work in and/or you have stellar grades, why would you pick someone with a criminal history over someone who was clean?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis. The mj charge isn't that bad because it was expunged. And the DUI will be less offensive because it will be years old by then (long enough that any probation would be over). Nonetheless, put yourself in a DA's position. Unless your LS has a history in the district you want to work in and/or you have stellar grades, why would you pick someone with a criminal history over someone who was clean?

Freaking love that 'tar.

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby kapachino » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis.


Which is why I suggested a possible alternative if the DA track doesn't work out. OP is going to have a tougher time finding a job as a prosecutor with a record, which he/she already knows.

OP, I say go for it and see where you end up. Don't get discouraged just yet.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 am

A'nold wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis. The mj charge isn't that bad because it was expunged. And the DUI will be less offensive because it will be years old by then (long enough that any probation would be over). Nonetheless, put yourself in a DA's position. Unless your LS has a history in the district you want to work in and/or you have stellar grades, why would you pick someone with a criminal history over someone who was clean?

Freaking love that 'tar.


Lol thanks :mrgreen:

kapachino wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis.


Which is why I suggested a possible alternative if the DA track doesn't work out. OP is going to have a tougher time finding a job as a prosecutor with a record, which he/she already knows.

OP, I say go for it and see where you end up. Don't get discouraged just yet.


Oh I liked that you offered an alternative. Your reasoning just made me laugh--criminals make better criminal defense lawyers (not laughing AT you though :P)

User avatar
kapachino
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby kapachino » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
A'nold wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis. The mj charge isn't that bad because it was expunged. And the DUI will be less offensive because it will be years old by then (long enough that any probation would be over). Nonetheless, put yourself in a DA's position. Unless your LS has a history in the district you want to work in and/or you have stellar grades, why would you pick someone with a criminal history over someone who was clean?

Freaking love that 'tar.


Lol thanks :mrgreen:

kapachino wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.


TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis.


Which is why I suggested a possible alternative if the DA track doesn't work out. OP is going to have a tougher time finding a job as a prosecutor with a record, which he/she already knows.

OP, I say go for it and see where you end up. Don't get discouraged just yet.


Oh I liked that you offered an alternative. Your reasoning just made me laugh--criminals make better criminal defense lawyers (not laughing AT you though :P)



Yeah, I missed that entirely.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.