Becoming a DA with a criminal record

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:26 pm

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section.

I will be starting law school this fall, and I am only interested in working as an ADA when I graduate. Unfortunately, I have a criminal record that consists of an expunged possession of marijuana charge, as well as a DUI. By the time I graduate law school, both of these charges will be 7-8 years old.

Is having a clean record a prerequisite for becoming a District Attorney, or are these decision made on a state-by-state/case-by-case basis?

Thanks in advance.

beaverfuzz

Re: Becoming a DA with a criminal record

Postby beaverfuzz » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I would bet this is office-specific.
Last edited by beaverfuzz on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:54 pm

You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work. I think having a record would definitely limit your employment options in regards to that section of law.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:57 pm

kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.

TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis. The mj charge isn't that bad because it was expunged. And the DUI will be less offensive because it will be years old by then (long enough that any probation would be over). Nonetheless, put yourself in a DA's position. Unless your LS has a history in the district you want to work in and/or you have stellar grades, why would you pick someone with a criminal history over someone who was clean?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
kapachino wrote:You sound like a better fit for criminal defense. You know what it's like to be in trouble, and that could give you passion for your work.

TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis. The mj charge isn't that bad because it was expunged. And the DUI will be less offensive because it will be years old by then (long enough that any probation would be over). Nonetheless, put yourself in a DA's position. Unless your LS has a history in the district you want to work in and/or you have stellar grades, why would you pick someone with a criminal history over someone who was clean?

Freaking love that 'tar.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis.

Which is why I suggested a possible alternative if the DA track doesn't work out. OP is going to have a tougher time finding a job as a prosecutor with a record, which he/she already knows.

OP, I say go for it and see where you end up. Don't get discouraged just yet.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 am

A'nold wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

TINTCR.

Freaking love that 'tar.

Lol thanks :mrgreen:

kapachino wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

TINTCR.

I don't think it would really be a problem, but like you say, it's probably on a case-by-case basis.

Which is why I suggested a possible alternative if the DA track doesn't work out. OP is going to have a tougher time finding a job as a prosecutor with a record, which he/she already knows.

Oh I liked that you offered an alternative. Your reasoning just made me laugh--criminals make better criminal defense lawyers (not laughing AT you though :P)

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
A'nold wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

TINTCR.

Freaking love that 'tar.

Lol thanks :mrgreen:

kapachino wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

TINTCR.

Oh I liked that you offered an alternative. Your reasoning just made me laugh--criminals make better criminal defense lawyers (not laughing AT you though :P)

Yeah, I missed that entirely.

Return to “Legal Employment”