GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 pm

What's the likelihood of a GWU grad clerking for a 2nd Circuit judge?

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

GWU had a Scalia clerk recently

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 am

Top-10%, and a good district court clerkship first, and you have an ok chance. Getting it straight from law school is unlikely though.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:GWU had a Scalia clerk recently

Yeah but doesn't that go against the whole "sow's ear" philosophy that he espouses?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

You're going to need to be very nearly #1 in your class and on law review, and even then it's not a lock.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

SBL wrote:You're going to need to be very nearly #1 in your class and on law review, and even then it's not a lock or even much of a likelihood.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 pm

SBL wrote:
SBL wrote:You're going to need to be very nearly #1 in your class and on law review, and even then it's not a lock or even much of a likelihood.

Maybe not #1, but SBL is right - you'll want to be probably top 5 in your class, LR Ed Board, etc.

The top-10% suggestion above is way off - you probably wouldn't get a 2/9/DC from a T10 school without top 5% / Law Review, especially ITE.

Edit: Prestigious Ed Board positions of secondaries will still have a shot from these schools, but not having LR will make it an uphill battle.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Not to thread-jack, but I'd assume WashU would be in about the same position?

What's the reason for the competitiveness of 2/9/DC? Is it because they have the most feeder judges, or location, or both?

*If there is a better place to ask this stuff as a n00b, kindly let me know.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 pm

0LNewbie wrote:*If there is a better place to ask this stuff as a n00b, kindly let me know.


This is probably your best bet: search.php?author_id=64794&sr=posts

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:53 pm

fatduck wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:*If there is a better place to ask this stuff as a n00b, kindly let me know.


This is probably your best bet: search.php?author_id=64794&sr=posts


Believe it or not, I've actually done that :) . GTL is a great resource, for sure.

Sometimes, the basics of the process are taken for granted in answers, though.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: GWU grad clerking for 2nd Circuit?

Postby A'nold » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:55 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
fatduck wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:*If there is a better place to ask this stuff as a n00b, kindly let me know.


This is probably your best bet: search.php?author_id=64794&sr=posts


Believe it or not, I've actually done that :) . GTL is a great resource, for sure.

Sometimes, the basics of the process are taken for granted in answers, though.

I'm a 2L and I don't think your question was "noobish" fwiw.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.