2L OCI benefit from 1L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L OCI benefit from 1L SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Title basically says it all. How substantial are the benefits of working at a V100 firm your 1st summer in the 2L firm interviews? Also, how big of a black mark is it if you don't receive an offer to come back for your 2nd summer from the 1L SA?

Thanks in advance

Rule11

Re: 2L OCI benefit from 1L SA?

Postby Rule11 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Probably not much. People who get 1L SAs these days are almost universally strong candidates in 2L OCI, so it would be a mess to disentangle correlation from causation.

It's unlikely that offer/no offer for your 1L firm will be discussed at OCI. Some 1L firms just give an invitation to come back next summer (either for the whole time or as a split), so there isn't the same stigma attached anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Very little weight would be given to the credential. What you do 1L summer really doesn't matter (though if you get an offer, that matters a lot, since you have an offer).

As to the latter, I had a 1L firm gig and interviews with 25 or so firms as a 2L. I believe 2 asked if my 1L firm had given me an offer (it had). Had it not, that likely would have been very bad.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very little weight would be given to the credential. What you do 1L summer really doesn't matter (though if you get an offer, that matters a lot, since you have an offer).

As to the latter, I had a 1L firm gig and interviews with 25 or so firms as a 2L. I believe 2 asked if my 1L firm had given me an offer (it had). Had it not, that likely would have been very bad.

Especially ITE.

nigelfrost

Postby nigelfrost » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 pm

So, here's my $.02. I did my 1L summer at a V100 firm. And I did get an offer to come back as a 2L summer associate, which I accepted.

1. I loved every minute of my 1L experience at the firm and I STRONGLY believe that it's the reason why I got an offer to come back. I knew partners' names, they knew me, and I had great lunch conversations with people on the hiring committee about coming back the next year. When the people making hiring decisions can put a face to a name, it can't be anything, but helpful. I used it as a 10 week interview . . . and I think they treated it the same.

2. Subsidiary to this, I really learned a lot about whether Big Law was for me. I realized that this particular firm was an excellent one and that the people I'd be working with were the type that I wouldn't mind doing things with after work. I also learned the "law firm dialogue," learning how to ask questions and be assertive in the firm environment.

3. It is tough to navigate the OCI experience with another firm on your resume. Every interview I had, I was asked about whether I had/was getting an offer from the firm I'd interned with. I learned pretty quickly to (DUH!) be a lawyer and only answer the question they ask. Just say "Nope." Or "Yes, but I'm considering options." Then move on with a question about their firm. No biggie. And about the "black mark" if you don't get an offer: a good way to ensure it ISN'T a black mark is doing good work for the people in the firm and asking for a reference at the end of the year. I had three people serve as my references from that firm and I knew (because of the good people they are and the good relationship we had) that even if they couldn't give me an offer, they'd be willing to vouch for me with another employer.

4. As far as the "most people who get 1L offers would have got 2L offers anyway" concept, I don't have much to say. Chances are that may be true. But at this point you are the best judge of how you "stack up" against other law students. Let the 1L firm experience be one more guidepost.

Good luck!

irie

Postby irie » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:54 pm

I would imagine that a huge benefit of having a 1L SA firm offer going into 2L OCI is that you'd have much more flexibility in the bidding process... i.e. if you SA'd at a v100 firm as a 1L and your grades are not spectacular, having an offer in hand going into OCI allows you to bid for more "reach" firms than you otherwise would since you don't need to worry about hedging your bets to prevent striking out

Return to “Legal Employment”