Questions for Government Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gibby
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Questions for Government Interview

Postby gibby » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:26 pm

What are some good questions to ask a government interviewer?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Questions for Government Interview

Postby OGR3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:28 pm

gibby wrote:What are some good questions to ask a government interviewer?


Where's Barack Hussein Obama's birth certificate?

shep1975
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:28 pm

Re: Questions for Government Interview

Postby shep1975 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Remember, the key to a successful interview is to turn the tables on the interviewer and you be the person who interviews them. Remember, everyone's favorite topic is themselves. If you get your interviewer talking more about himself, then the pressure is off you to come up with snappy answers. If you are interviewing in a person's office, take the time to look around. What about the interviewer's personality can you get from their office. Are there pictures of children, a spouse, or other family members? Do they have a picture of a historic figure or historic golf course? Ask your interviewer about those pictures or other items.

Some easy questions to ask your interviewer are:

What made you decide to choose this career path?

What do you find the most rewarding about this department's mission/purpose/etc?

Where do you see this position going in the next year, five years, ten years?

What are the most challenging aspects of this position?

If you end up peppering them with questions, you walk out of the interview 45 minutes later without having to sweat through the questions like, "What book most influenced your life?" and the interviewer come out feeling like they had a great conversation, because they spent the entire time talking about their favorite topic...themselves.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Questions for Government Interview

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 pm

OGR3 wrote:
gibby wrote:What are some good questions to ask a government interviewer?


Where's Barack Hussein Obama's birth certificate?


+1

gibby
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Questions for Government Interview

Postby gibby » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 pm

shep1975 wrote:Remember, the key to a successful interview is to turn the tables on the interviewer and you be the person who interviews them. Remember, everyone's favorite topic is themselves. If you get your interviewer talking more about himself, then the pressure is off you to come up with snappy answers. If you are interviewing in a person's office, take the time to look around. What about the interviewer's personality can you get from their office. Are there pictures of children, a spouse, or other family members? Do they have a picture of a historic figure or historic golf course? Ask your interviewer about those pictures or other items.

Some easy questions to ask your interviewer are:

What made you decide to choose this career path?

What do you find the most rewarding about this department's mission/purpose/etc?

Where do you see this position going in the next year, five years, ten years?

What are the most challenging aspects of this position?

If you end up peppering them with questions, you walk out of the interview 45 minutes later without having to sweat through the questions like, "What book most influenced your life?" and the interviewer come out feeling like they had a great conversation, because they spent the entire time talking about their favorite topic...themselves.

Excellent, thank you. Although, this happens to be a phone interview.

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Questions for Government Interview

Postby OGR3 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:54 pm

shep1975 wrote:Remember, the key to a successful interview is to turn the tables on the interviewer and you be the person who interviews them. Remember, everyone's favorite topic is themselves. If you get your interviewer talking more about himself, then the pressure is off you to come up with snappy answers. If you are interviewing in a person's office, take the time to look around. What about the interviewer's personality can you get from their office. Are there pictures of children, a spouse, or other family members? Do they have a picture of a historic figure or historic golf course? Ask your interviewer about those pictures or other items.

Some easy questions to ask your interviewer are:

What made you decide to choose this career path?

What do you find the most rewarding about this department's mission/purpose/etc?

Where do you see this position going in the next year, five years, ten years?

What are the most challenging aspects of this position?

If you end up peppering them with questions, you walk out of the interview 45 minutes later without having to sweat through the questions like, "What book most influenced your life?" and the interviewer come out feeling like they had a great conversation, because they spent the entire time talking about their favorite topic...themselves.


In truth, this is the credited response. Lawyers LOVE to talk about themselves.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Questions for Government Interview

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
gibby wrote:What are some good questions to ask a government interviewer?


Where's Barack Hussein Obama's birth certificate?


+1


+2, for the double whammy of "Hussein" and the birth certificate.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.