Could anyone share your experience as a summer intern?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
onebigfamily

Could anyone share your experience as a summer intern?

Postby onebigfamily » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I got a summer intern position at a boutique law firm. Would anyone kindly share your experience working at a boutique law firm? QUESTIONS I HAVE IN MIND ARE:
Was it a paid or for credit internship?
What is a typical day like?
How many projects you got to work on?
How did you go around asking for projects?
How did the partner or the associate you work with evaluate your performance?
Did you get to participate in other law firm social activities?
Are you going to work for that law firm again this year?
Thanks a million!

Anonymous User

Re: Could anyone share your experience as a summer intern?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:54 pm

I worked at a boutique firm over the summer. Paid right around $3,000 / week, the pro-rated entry level attorney salary. Typical day involved me getting in whenever I wanted and leaving whenever I wanted, there was no babysitting. I had projects assigned to me as early as 9am and as late as after 6pm though, so being there during normal hours was important, but there was no time sheet and no clock.

I billed time just like an associate though, with billing codes and careful time keeping and all.

A typical day would be getting in, checking for an assignment from a partner (in case it came in over night), working on whatever was left from the prior day until lunch, eating lunch, and working on something until it was time to leave.

I worked on several small projects (edit this right now, sit in on this meeting/call, etc.) and several large projects (write a research memo about X, I need to know the answer to Y question, I think case Z means something but I want you to make sure, please edit this large writing piece, etc).

Many projects were assigned, but otherwise you feel things out. Especially at small firms it's likely to be pretty loose and informal. People will know you're there and be on the look out for projects that aren't critical which you can take your time on, and will tap your shoulder if they need help on a small matter. Let people know if you have interests or free time. It can be stressful and chaotic, no doubt.

My understanding is that "law firm social activities" are often dominated by events for summer associates.

I will not be working for the firm again, but was invited to if I wanted.

Anonymous User

Re: Could anyone share your experience as a summer intern?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at a boutique firm over the summer. Paid right around $3,000 / week, the pro-rated entry level attorney salary. Typical day involved me getting in whenever I wanted and leaving whenever I wanted, there was no babysitting. I had projects assigned to me as early as 9am and as late as after 6pm though, so being there during normal hours was important, but there was no time sheet and no clock.

I billed time just like an associate though, with billing codes and careful time keeping and all.

A typical day would be getting in, checking for an assignment from a partner (in case it came in over night), working on whatever was left from the prior day until lunch, eating lunch, and working on something until it was time to leave.

I worked on several small projects (edit this right now, sit in on this meeting/call, etc.) and several large projects (write a research memo about X, I need to know the answer to Y question, I think case Z means something but I want you to make sure, please edit this large writing piece, etc).

Many projects were assigned, but otherwise you feel things out. Especially at small firms it's likely to be pretty loose and informal. People will know you're there and be on the look out for projects that aren't critical which you can take your time on, and will tap your shoulder if they need help on a small matter. Let people know if you have interests or free time. It can be stressful and chaotic, no doubt.

My understanding is that "law firm social activities" are often dominated by events for summer associates.

I will not be working for the firm again, but was invited to if I wanted.

Thanks to whoever you are. May I ask why you decided not to accept the invitation?

Return to “Legal Employment”