1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Alright. Here's the situation:

I have one offer in hand: Small firm (15-20 attorneys)
Pros:
1. Can live at home, commute is fairly short (thus, no extra rent to be paid)
2. Get to stay with significant other over the summer
3. Nice folks and easy to get along with
4. More "hands on" work (going to court, drafting pleadings, etc.)
5. Fair pay
6. It's in the area where I want to work after graduation

Cons:
1. Little chance of employment after graduation (It's possible because they have a need for someone in the field I'm looking to
go into, but they generally just don't do much hiring).
2. Small firm -- don't know how it will look for 2L OCI

I have two OCI callbacks pending:

1. First firm is a lot like the firm that has already offered me. Approximately 20 attorneys and has a field in which I want to work. However, it isn't near home, so I would have to sublease and be away from my significant other. I also don't know what the pay would be. It also isn't in the area where I want to work after graduation. However, there's a higher likelihood of it turning into a job after graduation than with the firm that has offered.

2. Second callback is a large regional firm. Approximately 8 offices in 5-6 states. Not in an area that I would particularly like to work in upon graduation, but I could deal with it. Pays about double the firm from which I have an offer. However, I would have to sublease for this job too, which would offset the difference a bit. The firm doesn't have a field that really interests me, but it seems that there would be a good chance of it turning into a job upon graduation.

I also have a couple of interviews with high-level state courts (state Supreme Court and Court of Appeals), but the pay is almost nothing, and I would be driving an hour each way every day.

Clearly, I'm leaning towards the small firm where I already have an offer, but should I wait until going on my callbacks before making a decision?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Does your current offer have a set date to either accept or reject ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Does your current offer have a set date to either accept or reject ?


Just says "as soon as possible." Callbacks won't be for another three weeks though, and I know the small firm means for me to reply before then.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Does your current offer have a set date to either accept or reject ?


Just says "as soon as possible." Callbacks won't be for another three weeks though, and I know the small firm means for me to reply before then.
QOL is underrated on TLS. Go with the small firm unless your success with the 1L job search belies your class rank, in which case gun for the firm from which you'd be most likely to get a permanent offer.

phonepro
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby phonepro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:36 pm

id take the small firm. wouldnt it be nice to get the search out of the way so you can focus on your grades for this semester (i.e. what really matters for a job through OCI)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm

stratocophic wrote:QOL is underrated on TLS. Go with the small firm unless your success with the 1L job search belies your class rank, in which case gun for the firm from which you'd be most likely to get a permanent offer.


That's what I'm thinking. My results seem to be in range for my rank (~Top 5%) and school (~Top 40) from what I've been hearing from other folks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Any other opinions?

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm

I would take the small firm, the fact that you feel comfortable there and the fact that they are willing to let you do a lot of stuff outside of research is a big plus for 2L OCI.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:06 pm

What's your school and rank?

If you are at a good school/relatively highly ranked, you don't really need your 1L summer to turn into a full-time job. You should just take the bird in the hand (which sounds like it would be a great summer) and look during 2L OCI for a permanent home.

If you are not at a top school or don't have good grades, the case for waiting becomes more compelling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:19 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:What's your school and rank?

If you are at a good school/relatively highly ranked, you don't really need your 1L summer to turn into a full-time job. You should just take the bird in the hand (which sounds like it would be a great summer) and look during 2L OCI for a permanent home.

If you are not at a top school or don't have good grades, the case for waiting becomes more compelling.


Mentioned it above. ~Top 5% at a ~Top 40 school. If I keep up my grades, there shouldn't be any doubt that I will get some sort of summer job from 2L OCI. I had 5 OCI interviews. Thus far, I've heard back from 3 with two CBs and one rejection. I think my interviewing skills are fine, and my resume shouldn't be a hindrance.

Seems like the majority says to take the small firm, and that's what I'm learning towards. If there happen to be any compelling arguments for the big firms, I'm all ears though.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mentioned it above. ~Top 5% at a ~Top 40 school. If I keep up my grades, there shouldn't be any doubt that I will get some sort of summer job from 2L OCI. I had 5 OCI interviews. Thus far, I've heard back from 3 with two CBs and one rejection. I think my interviewing skills are fine, and my resume shouldn't be a hindrance.

Seems like the majority says to take the small firm, and that's what I'm learning towards. If there happen to be any compelling arguments for the big firms, I'm all ears though.


Sorry - missed that above. I would probably just take the small firm job in your position, but I agree it's a tough call.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L OCI Dilemma: Help Me Choose

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm

Picked the small firm that had already extended the offer. Sent in my acceptance a little while ago.....Yay for the job search being complete for at least a little while!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.