Which areas of practice are growing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jayman6

Bronze

Which areas of practice are growing?

Post by jayman6 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Are there specific areas of practice that have increasing demand for attorneys? Are there specific areas that are shedding jobs? I've heard that with the recent economic downturn a lot of big corporations have been shredding their legal departments. I've also heard that intellectual property and patent law are growing fields. Can anyone offer any insight?

OGR3

Silver

Re: Which areas of practice are growing?

Post by OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Legal outsourcing is growing exponentially. Unfortunately, many of the jobs are in India.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 pm

I don't have extensive knowledge of all (replace with "any" for accuracy) the markets but generally patent is growing (although not all kinds are created equal). Also, in the corporate world labor and employment law has done well relative to other areas. That is about all I can provide.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

screwsandboalts

New

Post by screwsandboalts » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 pm

im not in IP this year, but based on conversations with classmates who are, i can tell you that most people looking to go into IP and have some sort of science background have had no problems finding employment - with some people finding themselves torn between two, three, or four incredibly impressive job offers. that being said, i have no idea how this fares for those students who have a liberal arts background.

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm

I've been hearing that International Law is on the up and up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Definitely Space Law.

On a more serious note, from what I know, labor and employment practices, and employment litigation in particular have been very consistently busy.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:22 pm

In all seriousness, I have heard that there's this new area of law called personal injury.

Apparently, a guaranteed path to financial success is to open a solo personal injury firm right out of law school.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:18 am

OGR3 wrote:In all seriousness, I have heard that there's this new area of law called personal injury.

Apparently, a guaranteed path to financial success is to open a solo personal injury firm right out of law school.
I will actually do this if I don't get a jerb.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:28 am

screwsandboalts wrote:im not in IP this year, but based on conversations with classmates who are, i can tell you that most people looking to go into IP and have some sort of science background have had no problems finding employment - with some people finding themselves torn between two, three, or four incredibly impressive job offers. that being said, i have no idea how this fares for those students who have a liberal arts background.
bolded portion is not true at all ITE

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:29 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
screwsandboalts wrote:im not in IP this year, but based on conversations with classmates who are, i can tell you that most people looking to go into IP and have some sort of science background have had no problems finding employment - with some people finding themselves torn between two, three, or four incredibly impressive job offers. that being said, i have no idea how this fares for those students who have a liberal arts background.
a bit of an exaggeration but i suspect most people with hard science backgrounds at boalt are doing alright for IP work

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:42 am

fatduck wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
a bit of an exaggeration but i suspect most people with hard science backgrounds at boalt are doing alright for IP work
agreed, but boalt is better than 90+% of other law schools, especially for IP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”