Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Wha should I do this summer?

Summer Associate position at big firm x.
12
71%
Ip-related government agency.
0
No votes
Split summer.
5
29%
 
Total votes: 17

DeweyDell
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby DeweyDell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:15 pm

1L, CCN, median (slightly above), only significant WE prior to law school was brief employment at big firm x, want IP after law school. Not sure I want big law long term, but I will be aiming to get the best 2L SA position I can.

Summer options: 1) IP-related government agency 2) SA at big firm x with IP opportunities 3) split summer.

Career services told me all three will fair equally well at 2L OCI. I usually trust them, but I question their wisdom in this particular case. In any event, I thought I would at least get some other opinions.

Priorities:
1) Maximize chances at big law out of 2L OCI: would be open to working at big firm x, but would like opportunities beyond that.


2) Exploring the world of government work.
3) Taking the edge of the debt this summer.
4) Further exploring the world of big firm work.

If you would vote and explain your reasoning, I would very much appreciate it, and the TLS canon of wisdom would expand.

Thanks

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Has the firm has agreed to let you split the summer? Would this shorten your SA position? If so, by how much?

If the firm is okay with it, and it wouldn't shorten your SA position by much, I'd say split the summer. It's nice to get a wide variety of work experience now, and I would imagine firms won't be as happy with you splitting during 2L/that's when you really need to leave a good impression.

I'm likely splitting my summer, so I'm a little biased.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Take the SA position, mainly because for every week you split, you'll be losing ~$3000. If you can do a split while still doing the full SA (so like 10 weeks), fine, but otherwise its not worth splitting. Also, if you SA as a 1L, you will likely get an offer to return 2L year for 4-6 weeks, after you SA at another firm, and because of your experience this summer you should have no problem getting a second firm 2L year through OCI.

DeweyDell
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby DeweyDell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks for the replies and votes.

Ogr3: the firm is down, though splitting will cut into my SA position substantially.

Sup kid: I didn't realize that about the short-term 2L summer arrangement. That's the standard even when the student is summering with a different firm 2L summer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:39 pm

I split my 1L summer, big law like firm in one half, gov in the other. If i could have only done the firm in advance, I would have, and having done both I still would have taken just the firm if I could.

Doing just the firm, you are likely to (1) get more of a break on either end, important given the stress of 1L (before summer) and 2L OCI (after) and (2) earn way more money. It's also the better experience by far to chat about when interviewing for another firm job. Also, money. Scratch. $$$$.

Do the firm.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:42 pm

I had 2 friends w/biglaw SA positions 1L year, and this upcoming summer both are SAing at a different firm for 10 weeks, then going to their 1L firm for 4 weeks. Assuming they get offers from both, they'll get to choose which firm they want. Also, both are IP, so they're in a similar position to you (lucky IP SOBs :D)

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

DeweyDell wrote:Thanks for the replies and votes.

Ogr3: the firm is down, though splitting will cut into my SA position substantially.

Sup kid: I didn't realize that about the short-term 2L summer arrangement. That's the standard even when the student is summering with a different firm 2L summer?


Then I would say take the SA position.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:46 pm

Government SLIP programs place heavy favoritism on candidates who did gov first summer.

Still, I can't help but think that the trade-off would be worth it for you.

DeweyDell
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby DeweyDell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks for your informed insights people. The summer gig is sounding pretty good, though there are obviously a number of other non-disclosed variables to consider, one of them being: recent regulations coming from this agency are showing early signs of become a major regulatory cottage industry. The potential to get in on it early and develop a specialty is somewhat compelling. So many people are claiming that the traditional big law path is gone forever and people need to become more creative to survive. Getting in on a major legal development could be the type of creativity I would need to really jump-start my career, especially if specialized consulting becomes a possibility. This potential contributed to my have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too approach.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:57 pm

DeweyDell wrote:Thanks for your informed insights people. The summer gig is sounding pretty good, though there are obviously a number of other non-disclosed variables to consider, one of them being: recent regulations coming from this agency are showing early signs of become a major regulatory cottage industry. The potential to get in on it early and develop a specialty is somewhat compelling. So many people are claiming that the traditional big law path is gone forever and people need to become more creative to survive. Getting in on a major legal development could be the type of creativity I would need to really jump-start my career, especially if specialized consulting becomes a possibility. This potential contributed to my have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too approach.


Ohh, this is interesting. I do hear that some firms that work extensively with a regulatory field are especially interested in discussing the relevant agencies from an internal perspective during OCI interviews.

No matter how you slice it, I think you are putting yourself in a solid position assuming no grades pwnge.

DeweyDell
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby DeweyDell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Veyron wrote:
DeweyDell wrote:Thanks for your informed insights people. The summer gig is sounding pretty good, though there are obviously a number of other non-disclosed variables to consider, one of them being: recent regulations coming from this agency are showing early signs of become a major regulatory cottage industry. The potential to get in on it early and develop a specialty is somewhat compelling. So many people are claiming that the traditional big law path is gone forever and people need to become more creative to survive. Getting in on a major legal development could be the type of creativity I would need to really jump-start my career, especially if specialized consulting becomes a possibility. This potential contributed to my have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too approach.


Ohh, this is interesting. I do hear that some firms that work extensively with a regulatory field are especially interested in discussing the relevant agencies from an internal perspective during OCI interviews.

No matter how you slice it, I think you are putting yourself in a solid position assuming no grades pwnge.


Interesting to hear it affirmed that some firms want to talk agency at OCI. As with any prospective big law associate, attrition is a concern. The way I see it is if I come into the firm with knowledge that no one else has (or the perception thereof since six/12 weeks is an awfully short period of time during which to develop legal knowledge of any area) then I can get a head start on developing a specialty and improve my chances of the big firm wanting to keep me around, as well as my exit options.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:12 pm

DeweyDell wrote:
Veyron wrote:
DeweyDell wrote:Thanks for your informed insights people. The summer gig is sounding pretty good, though there are obviously a number of other non-disclosed variables to consider, one of them being: recent regulations coming from this agency are showing early signs of become a major regulatory cottage industry. The potential to get in on it early and develop a specialty is somewhat compelling. So many people are claiming that the traditional big law path is gone forever and people need to become more creative to survive. Getting in on a major legal development could be the type of creativity I would need to really jump-start my career, especially if specialized consulting becomes a possibility. This potential contributed to my have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too approach.


Ohh, this is interesting. I do hear that some firms that work extensively with a regulatory field are especially interested in discussing the relevant agencies from an internal perspective during OCI interviews.

No matter how you slice it, I think you are putting yourself in a solid position assuming no grades pwnge.


Interesting to hear it affirmed that some firms want to talk agency at OCI. As with any prospective big law associate, attrition is a concern. The way I see it is if I come into the firm with knowledge that no one else has (or the perception thereof since six/12 weeks is an awfully short period of time during which to develop legal knowledge of any area) then I can get a head start on developing a specialty and improve my chances of the big firm wanting to keep me around, as well as my exit options.


Well right, but you want to make sure you develop at least 2 specialties. Rely on one and it declines in importance and you can kiss life at 160 goodbye. You will have to figure out a way to avoid getting pigeonholed excessively.

DeweyDell
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby DeweyDell » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Veyron wrote:
DeweyDell wrote:
Veyron wrote:
DeweyDell wrote:Thanks for your informed insights people. The summer gig is sounding pretty good, though there are obviously a number of other non-disclosed variables to consider, one of them being: recent regulations coming from this agency are showing early signs of become a major regulatory cottage industry. The potential to get in on it early and develop a specialty is somewhat compelling. So many people are claiming that the traditional big law path is gone forever and people need to become more creative to survive. Getting in on a major legal development could be the type of creativity I would need to really jump-start my career, especially if specialized consulting becomes a possibility. This potential contributed to my have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too approach.


Ohh, this is interesting. I do hear that some firms that work extensively with a regulatory field are especially interested in discussing the relevant agencies from an internal perspective during OCI interviews.

No matter how you slice it, I think you are putting yourself in a solid position assuming no grades pwnge.


Interesting to hear it affirmed that some firms want to talk agency at OCI. As with any prospective big law associate, attrition is a concern. The way I see it is if I come into the firm with knowledge that no one else has (or the perception thereof since six/12 weeks is an awfully short period of time during which to develop legal knowledge of any area) then I can get a head start on developing a specialty and improve my chances of the big firm wanting to keep me around, as well as my exit options.


Well right, but you want to make sure you develop at least 2 specialties. Rely on one and it declines in importance and you can kiss life at 160 goodbye. You will have to figure out a way to avoid getting pigeonholed excessively.


That makes sense. The strategic jockeying really doesn't get any less complex after law school it seems. Thanks

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Comparative Utility of a 1L Split?

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:29 pm

[/quote]

Interesting to hear it affirmed that some firms want to talk agency at OCI. As with any prospective big law associate, attrition is a concern. The way I see it is if I come into the firm with knowledge that no one else has (or the perception thereof since six/12 weeks is an awfully short period of time during which to develop legal knowledge of any area) then I can get a head start on developing a specialty and improve my chances of the big firm wanting to keep me around, as well as my exit options.[/quote]

Well right, but you want to make sure you develop at least 2 specialties. Rely on one and it declines in importance and you can kiss life at 160 goodbye. You will have to figure out a way to avoid getting pigeonholed excessively.[/quote]

That makes sense. The strategic jockeying really doesn't get any less complex after law school it seems. Thanks[/quote]

No problem. See - I guess firm receptions are good not only for free food and booze, but also for giving advice to random people on TLS. Who knew!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.