Bankruptcy Clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bankruptcy Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:04 pm

I thought a thread devoted exclusively to bankruptcy clerkships could be helpful for students considering this kind of a beginning to their legal careers. I know there are a few very knowledgeable posters on here with extensive Bk clerkship knowledge that could really benefit the forum with their thoughts.

I'll start the thread with a few questions:

1. What are the "prestigious" clerkships and what does it take to get them?
2. Would being on LR and publishing a comment on a Bk related topic help your chances?
3. What is the market like for Bk attorneys, specifically mid-law and up?

Thanks!

holdencaulfield

Re: Bankruptcy Clerkships

Postby holdencaulfield » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought a thread devoted exclusively to bankruptcy clerkships could be helpful for students considering this kind of a beginning to their legal careers. I know there are a few very knowledgeable posters on here with extensive Bk clerkship knowledge that could really benefit the forum with their thoughts.

2. Would being on LR and publishing a comment on a Bk related topic help your chances?

Thanks!

1. I'm not sure what would be the most prestigious. Depending on the jurisdiction, bankruptcy courts are appealed to district courts or appellate panels. The district court would not be focused on bankruptcy and I haven't heard of clerks for the appellate panels (although it would probably be a good option). I think the best experience would be to clerk for a bankruptcy judge or the trustee's office. That's assuming you can't clerk for a large firm doing corporate bankruptcy.

2. Yes.

3. There is actually a decent market for bankruptcy attorneys...or at least there was a year ago when I looked into it. There are basically two types of bankruptcy practices: volume practices that do chapter 7's and chapter 13's for a flat fee; and those who bill hourly working with business bankruptcies or on the creditor side of personal bankruptcies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:57 pm

Bump for Monday.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm just hopping in because I'm pretty interested in this area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I'm just hopping in because I'm pretty interested in this area.

*tumbleweed*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I thought a thread devoted exclusively to bankruptcy clerkships could be helpful for students considering this kind of a beginning to their legal careers. I know there are a few very knowledgeable posters on here with extensive Bk clerkship knowledge that could really benefit the forum with their thoughts.

Thanks!

To answer (1), I think the best districts are the ones where most of the cases are filed, i.e., SDNY and D. Del. No idea how the hiring process for either of those bankruptcy courts work though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:20 pm

Say your goal is to get a good firm job in, let's say Tempe, AZ. Would clerking for an AZ Bk Court judge help you in your job search post-graduation if you already have good law school stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:39 am

I'm currently working at a law firm in their bankruptcy division (not a V100), but my school also offers extern positions during the semester (fall/spring). If I have to choose between continuing as a law clerk (I started in Feb 2011) and working for a judge in the bankruptcy court, which do you suggest I choose? Does your opinion change if it's for the Chief Judge?

MexiCali

Postby MexiCali » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:44 am

"To answer (1), I think the best districts are the ones where most of the cases are filed, i.e., SDNY and D. Del. No idea how the hiring process for either of those bankruptcy courts work though."

TITCR. Keep in mind that the SDNY and D. Del have the highest number of Ch. 11 filings, but the CDC has the highest number of filings overall. If you're looking into BigLaw (and insofar as the assumption is made that BigLaw = prestige), the SDNY and D. Del make the most sense as you won't see much Ch. 7/Ch. 13 action at K&E and the like. If you're looking for anything outside of BigLaw, then the CDC would make the most sense as it would provide the greatest amount of exposure to most, if not all (possibly not Ch. 15), of the chapter filings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 am

(1) The "prestigious" bankruptcy clerkships are those in Delaware and NYC. Clerking for a district court is not a good way to learn bk law, especially since bk attorneys believe that district court judges don't understand bk law. Clerking for a chief judge versus a regular judge doesn't make much difference as the cases are assigned randomly (although some chief judges may be assigned fewer cases to compensate for the increased administrative burdens on the judge).

After Delaware and NYC, the next best ones would be in Bankr. S.D. Fla., Bankr. C.D. Cal., and Bankr. N.D. Cal.

The bk judges in Delaware and NYC tend to hire people who either have large firm bk experience or previous bk clerkship experience. Outside of Delaware and NYC, it's easier to get a bk clerkship than a district court clerkship, w/ the proviso that you should have a bk background before applying.

(2) Some bankruptcy judges will not hire someone who does not have a bk background, whether through coursework or work experience. Writing about bk would help, although taking a bankruptcy course and secured transactions would be as helpful or more helpful.

(3) The market is difficult for new bk attorneys. Law firms are mostly sticking to their summer classes as a source of new bk associates. Working as a bk clerk opens a crack in the door w/ employers, but you have to open the door yourself and there's no guarantee of a job. Looking at the current jobs of past bk clerks I've seen around, they usually do business bk work for midlaw or less selective biglaw firms (w/ the exception of Bankr. S.D.N.Y. and Bankr. D. Del. clerks, who have more options).

If you have 2-6 years of business bk experience, then the market looks pretty decent.

baronh

Postby baronh » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Say your goal is to get a good firm job in, let's say Tempe, AZ. Would clerking for an AZ Bk Court judge help you in your job search post-graduation if you already have good law school stats?

Yes. You'll see who the players are in that legal market are and know who you'd want to work for. Also, your judge will most likely know people who could hire you. I don't think it'd help that much outside of Arizona, although I think Arizona has a busy bankruptcy court.

Return to “Legal Employment”