Evidence Course Prior to USAO Summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Evidence Course Prior to USAO Summer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:10 pm

1L here who will likely work for a USAO this summer. I can either take Evidence this spring with a so-so professor or take Evidence next year with a dynamite professor. Would the usefulness of taking Evidence before the USAO gig be worth the worse professor? Evidence would not allow me to appear in court.

Anonymous Loser

Re: Evidence Course Prior to USAO Summer

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

In my experience, it would be unusual for a 1L SA assignment to require an understanding of evidentiary rules. Actually, it would be unusual for a 1L SA assisgnement to require an understanding of any substantive law.

UCLAtransfer

Re: Evidence Course Prior to USAO Summer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Unless someone in the office indicated that they had a preference that you take evidence before the summer, I wouldn't worry about it. Most students do not have the opportunity to take evidence during 1L, and the vast majority of your fellow USAO interns will likely not have taken it.

I worked for a major city USAO my 1L summer without taking it first, and it was a total non-issue. I was able to work on PLENTY of great substantive stuff without dealing with evidentiary issues. It seemed like most of the AUSAs knew that we hadn't taken it, because they didn't even try to assign projects that dealt with detailed evidentiary issues.

Evidence is a somewhat complicated and super-important class (if you want to be a litigator/prosecutor), and I think having a solid professor makes all the difference in the world.

Return to “Legal Employment”