How long will they wait?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long will they wait?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 am

I am a 1L. I was recently offered a paid in-house counsel internship with a large corporation. However, I have an interview in two weeks with a midlaw firm that pays more. Today, in an email, I carelessly asked the corporation if I could let them know in early March, not realizing that normally job offers are only extended for a week or two, at most. I feel like an idiot. The attorney that I've been communicating with usually writes back to me within an hour, but it's already been almost 12 hours since my last email. Should I write a quick apology email and just take the job?

dood

Re: How long will they wait?

Postby dood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L. I was recently offered a paid in-house counsel internship with a large corporation. However, I have an interview in two weeks with a midlaw firm that pays more. Today, in an email, I carelessly asked the corporation if I could let them know in early March, not realizing that normally job offers are only extended for a week or two, at most. I feel like an idiot. The attorney that I've been communicating with usually writes back to me within an hour, but it's already been almost 12 hours since my last email. Should I write a quick apology email and just take the job?

never apologize, it shows weakness.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 am

dood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a 1L. I was recently offered a paid in-house counsel internship with a large corporation. However, I have an interview in two weeks with a midlaw firm that pays more. Today, in an email, I carelessly asked the corporation if I could let them know in early March, not realizing that normally job offers are only extended for a week or two, at most. I feel like an idiot. The attorney that I've been communicating with usually writes back to me within an hour, but it's already been almost 12 hours since my last email. Should I write a quick apology email and just take the job?

This is is both funny and true.

It has been 12 hours. At least go 24.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 am

dood wrote:

Just because there's a little truth in every joke doesn't necessarily make this true. Letting them know next month is too far off (for just about any type of job offer, FYI). You're likely going to need to rearrange your midlaw interview to get a decision quickly, turn down the in-house job and take your chances, or accept the in-house job.

Speaking in generalities, I doubt the in-house counsel will withdraw your offer, but "a bird in the hand," you know?

Return to “Legal Employment”