1L Summer: Judges or BigLaw SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you pick given the circumstances?

Split the Summer: State Court of Appeals, U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
67%
Still Shoot for the Biglaw SA Position
33%

Total votes: 24

Anonymous User

1L Summer: Judges or BigLaw SA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 pm

I interviewed with two judges (one on a state court of appeals, the other on the federal circuit court of appeals) last week, and each of them offered me the job. They both wanted a split, so that worked out quite nicely. I haven't accepted yet, as I am waiting to hear about a couple of BigLaw SA positions (and at least one of those seems highly likely to come through). Both of the judges gave me until March 1.

I'd like to do Biglaw after graduation, and I really don't think I'll take the time to clerk. I'd LOVE to work for the judges this summer... it'd be like a mini-clerkship, and I'd really enjoy having them as mentors later in my career. I'm not particularly crazy about two two firms that might give me a SA position... but Biglaw is hard to get, and beggers can't be choosers.

I'm thinking about accepting the judges outright and declining the SA positions pre-emptively, telling the firms that internships seemed like a great opportunity, but I'm still very much interested in a 2L SA position. Does this seem like a horrible idea given my career goals?

TL;DR Version: Split summer with two judges or BigLaw SA position. I want to do BigLaw after graduation, but this summer, I really want to work for the judges. What would you do?

patrickd139

Re: 1L Summer: Judges or BigLaw SA

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

School and class rank, pls.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:37 pm

The traditional line of thinking that gets thrown around a lot here is that you can't/shouldn't turn down an offer from a judge.

Tread carefully, unless my school feeds all of us a pile of bullshit on this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:29 am

Ty Webb wrote:The traditional line of thinking that gets thrown around a lot here is that you can't/shouldn't turn down an offer from a judge.

Tread carefully, unless my school feeds all of us a pile of bullshit on this point.

OP here.

Our Career Services Office told us the "can't turn down an offer" thing is bullshit. They said it is certainly true for clerkships, but not for internships: judges hire interns not out of necessity, but out of courtesy.

I'm at a T25, and I'm top-5%-ish.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:The traditional line of thinking that gets thrown around a lot here is that you can't/shouldn't turn down an offer from a judge.

OP here.

Our Career Services Office told us the "can't turn down an offer" thing is bullshit. They said it is certainly true for clerkships, but not for internships: judges hire interns not out of necessity, but out of courtesy.

I'm at a T25, and I'm top-5%-ish.

OP again.

Anybody care to explain their votes in the poll?

Also, both of the judges said they completely understand if I get a paying gig and want to take that.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:03 am

Do you need money?
Y- Call biglaw firms and leverage
N- Accept with COA and split between COA and SSC/biglaw if you can get it.

Your class rank and school rank will give you fairly good odds of getting biglaw next summer, assuming you want to practice in the region your school is located. If the COA and SSC will truly give you good experience, go for that this summer.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:07 am

split SA with US cir ct would be $$$.

step 1: call firms and tell em about ur prefstegious internships and ask them for a decision before friday
step 2: if u get a firm offer, ask both US cir judge and firm to split summer
step 3: PROFIT

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:09 am

dood wrote:split SA with US cir ct would be $$$.

step 1: call firms and tell em about ur prefstegious internships and ask them for a decision before friday
step 2: if u get a firm offer, ask both US cir judge and firm to split summer
step 3: PROFIT

You forgot ???, brodeo

Other than that, TCR

Return to “Legal Employment”